VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Retro Again

Rate this question

Joep

Question

I read extensively about VA RETRO on this forum and now understand that once the VA completes your claim/NOD; the RETRO is considered a new claim and you must wait yet again for an extensive length of time. If the VA is considering completing the RETRO as a new claim; then why can’t I see it on the VA e-benefits site?

My NOD was completed in July 2012 and I expected my RETRO within a 2 or 3 months but now see that can be an indefinite length of time.

This is all pretty depressing since I got my pink slip and since then have been having difficulty with budget ever since; the RETRO I am expecting is substantial so would help out a lot during this transition.

I'm sure there are many others in my situation.

Joe

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I don't know Joe. I also received 90% service connected, also retired from the Military, and my retro came with in 60 days, once DFAS has released the audit back to the VA. That is done so we don't get over paid. Once you receive the white, or brown envelope it takes anywhere between 60-90 days. That's only if they didn't run into any problems.

Good Luck Joe..

• HadIt.com Elder

Your retro money from a claim is not a new claim. It is just money the VA owes you. If you win a claim and have two years retro due you it should be in your bank within days. I got 8 grand of retro a few years ago and it was in the bank before I got the actual decision in the mail.

• HadIt.com Elder

Back up here. What did you NOD?

That NOD put your claim in appeals. Did you ask for a DRO review or fill out a form 9 to go to the BVA or a reconsideration?

This is not a guarantee of retro. I need to see this picture in a little better light.

J

Joep,

I agree with your retro pay not being an additional claim. The past few years, VA has been slow in paying out to those that are owed funds. I have seen retro pay from 10 days of the date of the claim, to 12 months. I don't have an answer why, it just doesn't make sense. I very rarely make this suggestion, but if you claim is completed and you are just waiting on your retro pay, do a congressional. I do know for a fact that when an elected official gets involved with a claim and that's all the veteran is waiting for is the pay, it will be done quickly.

Good luck...

Hey Joe, did you ever get your CPAP back pay from Foreign medical pogram? (Tricare Copays)

J

Unfortunately no; I was on the phone for two hours trying to find a solution. ALL Tricare people in the Pacific fall under a contract with ACE Medical in Hawaii for sleep apnea supplies. Since they are in the USA, the VA will NOT entertain any claims. I can go to a local hospital in Okinawa and pay three times the cost and bill to the VA, but then I need to also get a new CPAP machine that they support. The one supplied via Tricare 4 years ago is not supported locally.

I also asked about being compensated for all the CPAP supplies (my co-pay) purchased of the years since my claim was approved effective upon my retirement date and they said I am out of luck there too.

The VA does not have the ability to think outside of the box and allow people in my situation to buy from the Tricare system, or better yet, via the internet as a substantial savings. So I threw in the towel and have been just using my Tricare ($150 deductible each October, plus quarterly supplies) and the VA loves people like us overseas.

Another catch is the military hospital system overseas has a process to prescribe Sleep Apnea supplies through the Tricare system, but not for me to go downtown and get them locally. So I would have to see an off base doctor, and have two sets of medical records. I get outstanding care with the military (Fluent English speaking) medical facility, so am not very interested in seeking off base medical care.

I wish there was a better answer.

Joe