Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Iu Not The Typical Question Though

Rate this question

JDUB10

Question

Hi All,

A little bit about myself so you know.. I was in the Marine Corps for 4 years with 2/6 on MCB Camp Lejeune from 05'-09' and served in OIF Fallujah City, Iraq to be exact. I got out and was a Federal Police Officer for almost 3 years which proved to not turn out well due to my anger and memory issues. Although I wasn’t fired from that job and left on my own terms I eventually would have been at the rate I was going (6 write ups to the head shed in less than 2 years). So, I left that job and now am in a Logistics job I got through a VRA appointment and am having troubles at this job due to my service connected disabilities. So, basically I have been struggling with the work environment. I have to constantly go to scheduled VA appointments because
of my PTSD and TBI issues which is burning through my leave and I am almost on LWOP but my supervisor said I could get on the donor list because of my situation. Anyways I am in the process of being Re-eval'ed to increase the PTSD, Migraine headaches, Anxiety Disorder and finally to add TBI which I was diagnosed with last year. My question is when I go to the VSO and we start the process FEB 22nd and I ask for the things mentioned above I want to ask for IU because of everything I have been dealing with which my MD already knows is driving me insane. So, since I work for he Fed Govt still IF I get approved for 100% IU (which I think I have a pretty good case for from what all my Doc's tell me) what would happen at my current position being a fed Govt employee? Would I get medically retired from this position because it's all from service connected issues (which I did buy my USMC time back already) or would they have to appeal my original discharge from the Corps to read medically retired? I know that changing your DD214 from voluntary sep to medically retired is possible but how does all of this work. HELP! Thanks guys.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My wife is going through the process right now.

You need a DOc stating you cannot do one or more of your duties and you can get started.

J

My wife is going through the process right now.

You need a DOc stating you cannot do one or more of your duties and you can get started.

J

Thanks J something I can actually use.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know when I was fired from USPS I filed for worker's compensation on the way out the door. I was working limited duty due to aggravation of pre-existing bipolar disorder. I had won that claim about five years before I was fired. I filed a new claim for permanent aggravation of an on-the-job injury/illness. I got paid for that and put my OPM retirement on hold until I got TDIU. It is hard to win work-related mental health claims but I did it three times at the USPS because the bastards would not accommodate my service connected bipolar condition. I really don't advise getting a worker's compensation claim mixed up in any way with your VA claim. It caused me problems down the line and I had to make irrevocable choice between worker's compensation benefits for my bipolar and VA benefits. I already had SSD but this was offset by workers compensation as was OPM. Once I got TDIU and reactivated SSD and OPM. I had MSPB lawyer and all sorts of stuff. The union was very willing for me to go down the drain. I had been a shop steward and got on wrong side of union prez. When the USPS fired me they threw me into the briar patch.

I guess my long winded point is that if you are a federal employee you can file for workers compensation for mental health issues. Once you do that it is very difficult for them to fire you unless you do what I did, and I don't want to go into that except to say I was having a bad, bad day.