VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Slightly Dm Ii

Rate this question

x020574

Question

I have consistently had A1c around 5.5 - 5.8, and FG around 120s. Recently I have had a couple spikes over 126 FG and my VA PCP scheduled me for diabetes/dieting session with the nutritionist. PCP also requested tester for monitoring glucose but the nutritionist said the VA has recently changed it's policy and only gives monitors if you are on medication. I guess I'll buy my own and try to figure out why I spike sometimes - I am pretty good about fasting. I am 61yrs old and have bladder problems that get me up 2-3 times a night (BPH) so I think sleep interruption may have something to do with it... at least from what I have read. I take Tamolsulin to keep the night time urine frequency in check... but it doesn't seem to help - or maybe it is and I would get up more often if I didn't take it... I do see a urologist every 6 mos. I have also had some Hematuria issues as well.

Is a couple of pops over 126 FG reason enough to file for DM II (VN era, boots on ground)? At this time, getting it SC is probably more important then 10% managed by diet.

If the VA PCP makes the dx, would just having it noted in my VA medical records good enough or do I have to get a copy and send it in?

I stated a claim for Bilateral Hearing loss increase in Feb/2012 and had audio C&P - I believe that will be denied. I have additional hearing loss but not to the level of compensation... It will probably stay at 0%.

I filed for IHD in Oct/2012 - according to eBennies it looks like they added it to my existing claim as new, the claim is Under Review and currently overdue it's expected completion (isn't that a surprise wink.gif ?

If I send in a claim should I send it in by itself as a fully developed claim or send it in and ask that it be added to my existing claim (not sure they would).

I have a VSO at the Boston DAV, but I thought I would run it by you guys/girls first. Thanks in advance for your input.

Edited by x020574

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
I have consistently had A1c around 5.5 - 5.8, and FG around 120s. Recently I have had a couple spikes over 126 FG and my VA PCP scheduled me for diabetes/dieting session with the nutritionist. PCP also requested tester for monitoring glucose but the nutritionist said the VA has recently changed it's policy and only gives monitors if you are on medication. I guess I'll buy my own and try to figure out why I spike sometimes - I am pretty good about fasting. I am 61yrs old and have bladder problems that get me up 2-3 times a night (BPH) so I think sleep interruption may have something to do with it... at least from what I have read. I take Tamolsulin to keep the night time urine frequency in check... but it doesn't seem to help - or maybe it is and I would get up more often if I didn't take it... I do see a urologist every 6 mos. I have also had some Hematuria issues as well.

Is a couple of pops over 126 FG reason enough to file for DM II (VN era, boots on ground)? At this time, getting it SC is probably more important then 10% managed by diet.

If the VA PCP makes the dx, would just having it noted in my VA medical records good enough or do I have to get a copy and send it in?

I stated a claim for Bilateral Hearing loss increase in Feb/2012 and had audio C&P - I believe that will be denied. I have additional hearing loss but not to the level of compensation... It will probably stay at 0%.

I filed for IHD in Oct/2012 - according to eBennies it looks like they added it to my existing claim as new, the claim is Under Review and currently overdue it's expected completion (isn't that a surprise wink.gif ?

If I send in a claim should I send it in by itself as a fully developed claim or send it in and ask that it be added to my existing claim (not sure they would).

I have a VSO at the Boston DAV, but I thought I would run it by you guys/girls first. Thanks in advance for your input.

I would go ahead and file, as a separate claim. I believe 2 readings over 126 is DM-II. Besides the extra 10% helps. It should be a slam dunk and really easy, w/VN service. I would send them the lab reports showing the fasting glucose levels, with the criteria for a diabetes diagnosis and documentation of VN service. Remember that claims(VBA) and medical(VHA) are two different entities and don't report to each other, unless you tell them to get your medical records.

You might want to check on that bladder thing. I'd been getting up a couple of times a night and figured it was because I'm older(67), fat, and have DB-II but it turned out to be sleep apnea.

As for a testing meter check on-line for a free one. Most companies will give a free one, to get you to use their products. jmo

pr

Thanks for the advice, I'm assuming I should use the va form 21 526ez fully developed claim as opposed to the 21 256 standard form?

I have lab work documents.

I have doctor notes from nutricenist and PCP. (do they have a spell check here, you would think after after 61yrs I would know how to spell, I'm embarrased to say I have a BS in Computer Science wacko.png )

I have tarvel documentation sent from NPRC stating presence in RVN.

I have print out of VA Physicians GuideLines stating diagnosis of DM II.

I too have sleep apnea, started using CPAP from private physician in 1982, started VA care in 2005. No documentation to SC. sad.png

I would wait before submitting an additional claim. According to what you posted you have 2 open claims now. By submitting an additional claim now will only impeed the process of the other two.

You need a diagnosis to submit a claim. If the doc that diagnosed you is a VA doc you don't need to obtain and submit any medical records. If the doc is not with the VA, then you need to obtain a letter stating the diagnosis.

You are correct about the fully developed claims, when submitting a claim, do it with the 21-526ez. I have submitted over hundreds of these the past 1 1/2 years for veterans. I believe this process is better than sliced bread!

As for sleeep apnea, that has to be service-connected to obtain compensation. If you have been out for a long time it is extremely difficult to obtain SC for that condition. Some cases it can be secondary to a SC disability.

I guess my 12.8 A1c was a little high when I was diagnosed in December.

In 1997 the classification for what is Diabetes changed:

http://shp.missouri.edu/vhct/case2600/dx_criteria.htm

I had to prove to VA (claim filed in 2003) that my dead husband had DMII and that it had contributed to his death.

There was no diagnosis of DMII in his VA med recs. A VA endocrinologist kept saying he did not meet the prior definition of DMII ( he died in 1994)

I did a LOT of work on that claim, and I mean MEGA research. My former vet rep said it didnt have a chance.

Then I contacted Dr.Craig Bash with the evidence I felt I had that would prove my husband had been undiagnosed by the VA and should have been diagnosed and treated for DMII. I had to word that claim VERY carefully. VA had already paid me for malpractice under FTCA. This was a condition they didnt consider and I didnt even know about until my daughter kept telling me to review his med recs when the AO DMII regs came out.She was in the Military and bugged me on that every time she got a chance to call home. Sometimes we need to really listen to our kids!

Dr. Bash said 'if you got documentation of what you said you had in email....you have a very good case."

I sent him the documentation, my research, and his fee.Within 5 days his IMO was in the mail to me.

Actually he had to do 2 IMOs. MY VARO would not even consider them.

The BVA sure did.

Award. DMII from the AO contributing to the veteran's death. 2009 ancillary bennies and other stuff to over 100 thousand in retro they owed me. So much for my dumb former vet rep.

If VA questions the claim, you might well have to get an IMO . The bladder problems could be secondary to the DMII.

I hate to disagree with some of our esteemed members here but I agree with PR and say FILE THE CLAIM!

"I filed for IHD in Oct/2012 - according to eBennies it looks like they
added it to my existing claim as new, the claim is Under Review and
currently overdue it's expected completion (isn't that a surprise wink.gif ?"

Did you contact NVLSP? NVLSP won Nehmer. COntact info in our AO forum here...

Did the VA ever deny you for IHD in a past unappealed decision?

If so check out Footnote One Nehmer COurt Ortder searchable here in the AO forum.

I might be confused here...the 10% isnt for DMII is it?????

You mean a new claim for DMII?

Edited by Berta