VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Slightly Dm Ii

Rate this question

x020574

Question

I have consistently had A1c around 5.5 - 5.8, and FG around 120s. Recently I have had a couple spikes over 126 FG and my VA PCP scheduled me for diabetes/dieting session with the nutritionist. PCP also requested tester for monitoring glucose but the nutritionist said the VA has recently changed it's policy and only gives monitors if you are on medication. I guess I'll buy my own and try to figure out why I spike sometimes - I am pretty good about fasting. I am 61yrs old and have bladder problems that get me up 2-3 times a night (BPH) so I think sleep interruption may have something to do with it... at least from what I have read. I take Tamolsulin to keep the night time urine frequency in check... but it doesn't seem to help - or maybe it is and I would get up more often if I didn't take it... I do see a urologist every 6 mos. I have also had some Hematuria issues as well.

Is a couple of pops over 126 FG reason enough to file for DM II (VN era, boots on ground)? At this time, getting it SC is probably more important then 10% managed by diet.

If the VA PCP makes the dx, would just having it noted in my VA medical records good enough or do I have to get a copy and send it in?

I stated a claim for Bilateral Hearing loss increase in Feb/2012 and had audio C&P - I believe that will be denied. I have additional hearing loss but not to the level of compensation... It will probably stay at 0%.

I filed for IHD in Oct/2012 - according to eBennies it looks like they added it to my existing claim as new, the claim is Under Review and currently overdue it's expected completion (isn't that a surprise wink.gif ?

If I send in a claim should I send it in by itself as a fully developed claim or send it in and ask that it be added to my existing claim (not sure they would).

I have a VSO at the Boston DAV, but I thought I would run it by you guys/girls first. Thanks in advance for your input.

Edited by x020574

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I currently have SC for 0% bilateral hearing loss as evident on my entry/discharge exams 1974, plus it was noted ion my original audio C&P exam. C&P audiologist had also concurred that I had Tinnitus, that is what the 10% is for. That was awarded in 2005.

I know but reviewing the hearing loss criteria, I'll stay at 0% unless I have a really very gratious rater. My hearing loss frequency have gotten worse but not to the degree of compensation... and my word recognition scores (I find it very hard to believe) stayed the same at 94. My wife thinks the are crazy. I told her I don't think the exam is fair in terms of word recoginiton because they put you in a sound proff booth, put a head set on you, wispher a sting of words and occasionally play a hissing notice in the background. Not at all a representaion of the real world environment. But that is the VA, once they have been doing something for 50 yrs, they'll keep doing it for another 50yrs

Since then, I had severe blockages and dx with IHD at VA medical center in Jun/2010. At that time I had CABGx2 (was supposed to be 3 bypasses) and I knew they had just come out with the 3 new presumptives but of course they didn't apply to me... like many other veterans I served in Thailand and elsewhere have ALWAYS been told those infamous words 'if you didn't have boots on the ground... don't bother'. To me it was like finger nails on a chalk board. What I didn't know was that as a result of releasing the 'CHECO' report in (May/2010??) that I certainly did a lot of work 'on or near the base perimeter' (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean). I was a Jet Mech, F105.

In Feb/2012 I called the 800 number and asked, at the insistance of my wife, how can I get another hearing exam and a possible increase. I didn't realize it, not being too familar with this claim processing jungle, that the guy on the phone started a claim for an increase for me (still pending).

Sometime around Aug/2012 I was snooping around the internet and saw the public posting alerting (again, if you want to call it that... they certainly didn't spend much enegry alerting people). I was so p'off, I could have file the IHD back in Sept/Oct/2010.

So, I put a claim in for IHD with documented secondaries for depression and ED. It appears they rolled that claim into my existing one that was still, after all those months, gathering evidence. Ebennies states I currently have a claim with contentions for increase in hearing loss and new for IHD (now at reviewing evidence).

So the question on my orig post was should I submit a new, fully developed claim for recently dx DMII. Or do I have an option to it roll it into my existing hearing loss increase claim... or is that just pot luck and the VARO will make that decision?

I'll take a look at the Nehmer info, but since I didn't file a claim back then I don't believe it is relavent to me.

Sorry for the confusion. I have been reading most of your posts and I gotta say, You are a no-bullshit kind of lady!!! You go girl... I'm sure hubby is plenty proud of you and looking down and smiling from ear to ear. biggrin.png

• HadIt.com Elder

You can also ask you VA doc to refer you to audiology and get quicker results, if you need hearing aids. I got mine about 2yrs ago and they are state of the art, blue-tooth and everything. Getting comp for hearing loss is difficult, as the required loss is fairly high, for comp.

pr

on the audiology test the first three blocks, 500, 1000, 2000 have to be at least 40 or greater to be compensated for hearing loss. If the blocks are 40 or greater than the % of speech discrimination will be used in the formula to determine the overall % of disability.

One great thing about the VA, they will test and give you hearing aides if needed. No cost to the veteran. it's just getting compensated that is most difficult.

You can also ask you VA doc to refer you to audiology and get quicker results, if you need hearing aids. I got mine about 2yrs ago and they are state of the art, blue-tooth and everything. Getting comp for hearing loss is difficult, as the required loss is fairly high, for comp.

pr

Being new to the VA system at that time, I wasn't aware of that. Now I know... thank you. I'm not expecting an increase in my rating, but I'm happy they replace my 7 yr old hearing aids. Your right, newer ones have booth tooth... good for syncing up to your cell phone and/or car audio.

• HadIt.com Elder

File for DMII. I had some high glucose readings and the C&P doctor said it was DMII. Just 10%, but it opens up doors for PN, heart disease and a bunch of other potential problems. If your glucose is that high you will probably get diabetes and have higher A1C readings. How are your cholesterol readings? You probably have some hardening of the arteries as we speak and that can be DMII related or cause IHD.

I currently have SC for 0% bilateral hearing loss as evident on my entry/discharge exams 1974, plus it was noted ion my original audio C&P exam. C&P audiologist had also concurred that I had Tinnitus, that is what the 10% is for. That was awarded in 2005.

I know but reviewing the hearing loss criteria, I'll stay at 0% unless I have a really very gratious rater. My hearing loss frequency have gotten worse but not to the degree of compensation... and my word recognition scores (I find it very hard to believe) stayed the same at 94. My wife thinks the are crazy. I told her I don't think the exam is fair in terms of word recoginiton because they put you in a sound proff booth, put a head set on you, wispher a sting of words and occasionally play a hissing notice in the background. Not at all a representaion of the real world environment. But that is the VA, once they have been doing something for 50 yrs, they'll keep doing it for another 50yrs

Since then, I had severe blockages and dx with IHD at VA medical center in Jun/2010. At that time I had CABGx2 (was supposed to be 3 bypasses) and I knew they had just come out with the 3 new presumptives but of course they didn't apply to me... like many other veterans I served in Thailand and elsewhere have ALWAYS been told those infamous words 'if you didn't have boots on the ground... don't bother'. To me it was like finger nails on a chalk board. What I didn't know was that as a result of releasing the 'CHECO' report in (May/2010??) that I certainly did a lot of work 'on or near the base perimeter' (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean). I was a Jet Mech, F105.

In Feb/2012 I called the 800 number and asked, at the insistance of my wife, how can I get another hearing exam and a possible increase. I didn't realize it, not being too familar with this claim processing jungle, that the guy on the phone started a claim for an increase for me (still pending).

Sometime around Aug/2012 I was snooping around the internet and saw the public posting alerting (again, if you want to call it that... they certainly didn't spend much enegry alerting people). I was so p'off, I could have file the IHD back in Sept/Oct/2010.

So, I put a claim in for IHD with documented secondaries for depression and ED. It appears they rolled that claim into my existing one that was still, after all those months, gathering evidence. Ebennies states I currently have a claim with contentions for increase in hearing loss and new for IHD (now at reviewing evidence).

So the question on my orig post was should I submit a new, fully developed claim for recently dx DMII. Or do I have an option to it roll it into my existing hearing loss increase claim... or is that just pot luck and the VARO will make that decision?

I'll take a look at the Nehmer info, but since I didn't file a claim back then I don't believe it is relavent to me.

Sorry for the confusion. I have been reading most of your posts and I gotta say, You are a no-bullshit kind of lady!!! You go girl... I'm sure hubby is plenty proud of you and looking down and smiling from ear to ear. biggrin.png

I had one more concern other than should I file now for DM II, being that I have 1claim with 2 contentions (hearing increase, IHD new) in Review Status now...

RE: 38 CFR 3.114 Change of Law - Effective date of change which states :

• If a claim is reviewed at the request of the claimant more than 1 year after the effective date of the law or VA issue, benefits may be authorized for a period of 1 year prior to the date of receipt of such request.

Dx was Jun2010, IHD effective presumtive law Sep2010, IHD claim Oct2012 - it reads to me I might be entitled to 1 yr retro, some responses I got said it I don't get it file a CUE and state the law. Some said send in a 21-4138 and request the law be considered... I'm afraid if I do that my claim will go back on the bottom of the stack. NOTE: my IHD claim was rolled into my Hearing increase claim which effective Feb2012. Should I leave it alone and wait to see if it is a CUE?