VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rated 100%, Effective 1 Dec 2012

Rate this topic

Rover

Check your state benefits, in most states you are exempt from Property Taxes, Driver License fees and you get free fishing and hunting licenses plus some other goodies...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check your state benefits, in most states you are exempt from Property Taxes, Driver License fees and you get free fishing and hunting licenses plus some other goodies...

This link might help with the NC benefits:

http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/north-carolina-state-veterans-benefits.html

Also, if your EED is prior to the Sept 2012 college start date for your son, and he is in a VA approved school, (MOST colleges are VA approved)

he could request for a retro DEA Chapter 35 payment , as a reimbursement, when he gets the actual Certificate of Eligibility.

Once he sends them the Chapter 35 application, the DEA certificate should come fairly soon.

VA paid Chapter 35 bennies to me for about 7 thousand of my degree from AMU based on my husband's 100% P & T award.

When I successfully proved direct SC death, I sent VA Edu copy of that award, and copy of about 6 thousand in tuition I had paid myself after the original 10 year limiting date ( for survivors ) had ran out.

The new award gave me a far better EED for Chap 35 and the VA reimbursed me the whole 9 yards for the additional 6 thousand ,with copies from my school of my tuition payments.

It isnt really the exact same tuition amount. The VA develops an hourly rate and that is what they base the DEA money on. The VA will send him info to explain all that.

It is a good time too for your son to tie in with the college's VA liason officer. I did all of my dealings with AMUs tuition office and VA liason person, and the VA counselor I had at VA Edu Dept and it all went smoothly..most of the time.

In my case (I am Chap 35er as a surviving spouse) I had to pay the tuition first and then send the VA copies of the received tuition from my AMU student account profile.

College text Books are expensive!!!!! The Marine Corps gave me a book grant. His school might have something like that too and he also should not overlook their bookstore for any used books that would be current to his studies.

He might even be eligible for a state Pell Grant. I dont know how that works however.

I wish him very good luck!. Chapter 35 changed my whole life. I was a civilian in a military school and all the other students were enlisted, or officers or veteran retirees.

I still think about going back to AMU.

They gave me almost full credit for most of my prior college credits.

Remember everyone....if your adult child is a veteran, and eligible for DEA they will add to the limiting date, the same amount of years they served in the Military.

Edited by Berta

Congrats Rover. I'm so glad to see that you finally received your final rating.

As for me brother, I am still here waiting with a 90% service connection with several issues deferred.

It will be 3 years for me if the claim makes it to July.

Congrats once again, now it's time to enjoy your retirement.

Thank you so much for your service.

Aggie

Edited by aggie54

Congrats Rover. I'm so glad to see that you finally received your final rating.

As for me brother, I am still here waiting with a 90% service connection with several issues deferred.

It will be 3 years for me if the claim makes it to July.

Congrats once again, now it's time to enjoy your retirement.

Thank you so much for your service.

Aggie

If you're at 90% now with a few deferred claims; you ca a good shot at achieving 100%. Stay focus & keep the pressure on VA.

And thanks for the congrats

Rob

rover,

For now - you've won !

Don't worry about the effective date - till you get the decision

and the retro hits - you can always NOD the ED.

BUT, for the record I'm thinking that your C&P exams done in Feb 2013

got you increased to 100 percent and this would prevent the ED of the

100 percent from going back to the Dec 2010 date.

Same thing as a staged rating per medical evidence of current level

of disability.

Also, this now also provides you with full dental care at your VAMC

plus Chapter 35 for dependents and some other great benefits you will need to check into

also probably some additional state benefits.

Retro will be good - spend wisely.

As Carlie said; "I'm a Winner" and I really feel like a Winner. On my initial/partial rating; I received a few denial ratings (for example: sleep apnea, diabetes, etc.) so i was making plans to prepare NODs.

tongue.png With a recent 100% rating; I don't plan on spending the effort to prove my case. Should i rethink my plan?

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use