Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help Filing For Depression

Rate this question

OldDave

Question

Hi to all. Appreciate all the good work the veterans here at Hadit are doing.
I’m considering putting in a claim for depression. I’m wondering if I need to try to get a psych consult before filing a claim. Do I do this through my PCP?
I am currently SC for DMII - 20%, IHD - 60% , PN - 4 X 10%, ED - SMC-K. So far nothing the Va has tried has helped my ED. My eGFR is at about 40 so kidney problems are probably not far off. That along with the pain, frustration and side effects of the meds has me down. Also, let me say I was diagnosed with DMII in the late 1980’s and had a heart attack in 1998. I’ve been dealing with this for quite a while.
Does the prescribing of anti depressants and anti anxiety medications imply a diagnoses of those disorders? I am currently on 50 mg of Trazodone at betime and 1mg of Clonazepam twice a day.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dave

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Your service connected disabilities are the likely causes of the depression, You should ask to see mental health to get a firm diagnosis of depression and file a claim secondary to your service connected disabilities. You then will need a nexus statement that connects the dots.

J

If the you are taking meds for depression are form your PCP then ask to see a psych. Meanwhile file a claim for depression and follow Philip Rogers advice. The VA may give you additional percentages for disabilities you already have plus depression and increase your disability to 100% P&T. This happen to me. Good luck

To agree with what has already been said, I would just like to add the following; FIRST, see your primary care provider and obtain a consult to a mental health provider, your claim would go quicker if this was all done in the VA system. Once a diagnosis has been provided and the diagnosis is connected to your SC disabilities, ensure that your mental health doc, states in his/her medical opinion that you are unable to work due to your mental health condition (and/or) your SC conditions, then file a claim for depression, secondary to your sc disabilities and the claim for TDIU (va fm 21-8940). Complete a VA FM 21-526ez (fully developed claim), VA FM 21-4138 and send to the VARO in which state you live.

The FD claims are being adjudicated a lot faster than submitting a normal claim. Use to be a vet would submit a claim for whatever and send the medical documentation in at a latter time. This process will drag your claim on and on forever. Submit all documentation together or annotate on the VA FM 21-526ez that your records pertaining to your claim are at (your VARO) the VA will secure these and again, adjudicate your claim in a much faster process.

Good luck!

also after you are awarded and have the stress lifted of trying to work while maintaining all that is wrong with you. I think you will find a relieve that will also help with you enjoying life better. Not great but better!

Sign up for rehab and see what they say might be a good hobby under in depended living. Having something you like to do everyday really helps!

Stillhere