Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

5003- degenerative arthritis

5003- Note (1) the 20 % and 10% ratings based on x-ray findings , will not be combined with ratings based upon limitation of motion.

Herniated disc falls under the region and range of motion. So to answer your questions separate ratings will be issued.

Sorry for interupting, but I is confused..

I get 20% from ROM lumbar. However, it was because of my service connected degenerative arthritis via x-rays.

So, are you (meghp0405) saying I should get additional 10 for the x-ray showing degenerative arthritis?

Dosen't sound right to me..

Thanks,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

No, it will not be combined. The biggest thing I see is the VA will try to evade the Nerve issues like Sciatica.

J

hamslice,

If you have medical documentation that supports your claim for arthritis, submit it on a VA FM 21-526ez as a secondary condition...

Edited by meghp0405

Code 5003 in its entirety tells a different story:

If the joint is rated under limitation of motion, it will not be rated under 5003.

If the motion of the joint is such that it cannot be rated under limitation of motion, then it can be rated under 5003.

5003 Arthritis, degenerative (hypertrophic or osteoarthritis): Degenerative arthritis established by X-ray findings will be rated on the basis of limitation of motion under the appropriate diagnostic codes for the specific joint or joints involved (DC 5200 etc.). When however, the limitation of motion of the specific joint or joints involved is noncompensable under the appropriate diagnostic codes, a rating of 10 pct is for application for each such major joint or group of minor joints affected by limitation of motion, to be combined, not added under diagnostic code 5003. Limitation of motion must be objectively confirmed by findings such as swelling, muscle spasm, or satisfactory evidence of painful motion. In the absence of limitation of motion, rate as below: With X-ray evidence of involvement of 2 or more major joints or 2 or more minor joint groups, with occasional incapacitating exacerbations 20 With X-ray evidence of involvement of 2 or more major joints or 2 or more minor joint groups 10 Note (1): The 20 pct and 10 pct ratings based on X-ray findings, above, will not be combined with ratings based on limitation of motion. Note (2): The 20 pct and 10 pct ratings based on X-ray findings, above, will not be utilized in rating conditions listed under diagnostic codes 5013 to 5024, inclusive.