Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lost Word I Don't Know What Happened

Dorothy Kansas

Guest jstacy

Do you have the case with the access codes on it? If you do, Borrow a disk from a friend and reinstall it. Use your registration numbers from the disk case. Do you have an Microsoft office disk, IE office 97 or officec XP. Word is part of the office package. Also you can go to www.microsoft.com and download microsoft viewer for free. You can look at word documents but you cannot edit them.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John -are you saying the older docs are now basically still on the hard drive but cannot be edited?

But they could still be read with the viewer?

I thought PCs would eliminate paper-

In spite of saving all my VARO crapola in Word and on 31/2 s (sometimes)

I always have hard copy paper print outs as I like to edit them away from the PC- then I always print out my own final copy as well as the VARO copy-and put it into a manila folder-

Also- my local vet rep and my RO vet rep have copies of all my VARO stuff-

I use more paper now than I did prior to the invention of PCs.

90 % of it is regarding VA-

I actually think they might be in cahoots with the PO- I have spent a fortune on Priority mail to 2 separate vet reps and the VARO for over 3 years and they haven't read any of it-

I spend over 60 bucks in the last week at the PO and God knows how much ink and paper I used.

If Dr. Bash doesn't get my stuff by 3 PM the PO said they will give me my 18.00 Fed express money back-

Craig will let me know-

I hope he gets my stuff at 4 PM!

Then I will have 18 more bucks to send the RO and my vet reps more priority stuff-that the VA still fails to read.

Someone asked me if I worked at the local post office because they see me in there so much-

I hope the important docs Dorothy has can be at least read and then maybe saved to a disk? from the viewer?

• In Memoriam

Word 6.0 is the Version of MicroSoft Word. You will need a File Converter if you have a newer version of Word. The format of the document is different than the newer version and may need to be converted. If you have a newer version of word (Say Office 2000 -Ver 9.0)

What happens when I save a document for Word 6.0/95?

There are many new features in Microsoft Word 2000 that aren't supported in previous versions of Word. To make sure that documents appear correctly in earlier versions of Word, formatting that isn't supported is removed and replaced with formatting that is supported. For example, when you save your document as Word 6.0/95, decorative underlines are removed and regular underlines are added; so the document appears correctly when opened in Word 6.0 or Word 95. After you save your document as Word 6.0/95, features that are not supported by Word 95 and Word 6.0 are made unavailable for use in the document.

What happens when I open a Word 2000 document with the Word 2000 import converter

Users of Microsoft Word 6.0/95 for the Microsoft Windows, the Microsoft Windows NT, or the Macintosh operating system who have installed the Word 2000 import converter can directly open Word 2000 documents. However, not all Word 2000 features are fully supported in Word 6.0/95. The following tables describe data or formatting that might not be converted correctly.

Obtain file format converters

To find out what file format converters you have installed Look in the Save as type box (Save As command, File menu) for the list of converters. If you don't see the converter you need, you can see a list of converters available with Microsoft Word. You can install these converters by running the Programs Installer.

If you're sharing files with Word 95 or Word 6.0 users

People using Word 95 or Word 6.x for Windows, Windows NT, or the Macintosh must install the Word 2000 import converter before they can open your Word 2000 documents. Obtain the Word 2000 import converter or other converters free of charge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Installer

Install or remove individual components

If you can't find the Microsoft Word or Microsoft Office component you need, and the Microsoft Windows installer doesn't automatically install it, you can install the component yourself. If you originally installed Word or Office from a network file server or from a shared folder, run that copy of the Setup program.

1. Close all programs.

2. Click the Windows Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

3. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon .

4. Do one of the following:

If you installed Word by using the Office Setup program, click Microsoft Office on the Install/Uninstall tab, and then click Add/Remove.

If you installed Word individually, click Microsoft Word on the Install/Uninstall tab, and then click Add/Remove.

5. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Learn about the location of components in the installer.

Note If you installed Word from a CD-ROM, and you have mapped your CD-ROM drive to a new drive letter since you originally installed Word, run Setup again from the CD-ROM. If you are running any Word files from the CD-ROM, you must uninstall Word, and then install Word again from the CD-ROM.

Are you running an up-to-date copy of a virus program. If you had Word and now have lost being able to access it, you may have gotten a virus which, in turn, affected your Word software. Are you having any problems with anything else on your computer?

While most of you may realize this, there are software programs which you purchase that only gives you one years subscription and you must renew each year or the virus updates are not done, even though it may look like it to you. Nortons Antivirus is one of those. I cannot tell you how many people who purchase a computer and has a trial version of Nortons running thinks that because they had it on their computer when they purchased it, that they continue to have it and never have to purchase the updates. I have had friends and family that thought since it came on their computer, they were being updated with the latest virus protection months down the road. Well, they were not and as a result ended up with a virus on their computer. Also, unless you have your computer turned on and logged in to the internet all of the time, then you may not be automatically getting the updates. You must then check to see the last date that an update was done and then manually do the update yourself to insure you have the latest protection.

Again, I am sure most of you knew this already, but if there is one person that this may help, then it was worth bringing it up. Getting viruses can be a complete disaster to your computer and the software you run. At one time, I managed to get a virus (my fault) and before I could get the problem corrected, it also affected my CD-ROM hardware. I do run Nortons Antivirus and while it does slow down your system more so than some other virus software, I have been extremely pleased with how it protects your system. The newer software they now have is even better. Again, it does have a tendency to slow down your system more, but, it is worth it knowing that I feel comfortable I won't get a virus infecting my computer.

I know I kinda got off of the original subject, but this does run along the lines of the original question asked.

mssoup1

Excellent advice mssoup-

Spyware and all the anti virus programs are well worth the money-

I usually never am near my PC at night- it is programmed to run some sort of virus scan every night-and this takes time-so I dont use the PC- as it might interfere with it-??? maybe not- but

it has picked up hits from potential security risks from ISPs that are not even in this country-

I have a lot if security programs- and you are right- those updates on virus programs are SO important-

I know many people who failed to install good antispyware or antivirus programs and the result was very costly.