VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lap Band Surgery

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

On Tuesday I meet with a Doc to go over whether or not I will get Lap Band Surgery. My Medicare/HMO will cover it. Sort of annoys me that I will have to make copays for something that the VA should do but that is the story of my life.

Reasons I need Lap Band Surgery to lose weight.

Diabetes

Sleep Apnea

Hyper Tension

41 BMI

302 Lbs

Breathing Problems

I have gained 30 lbs in less than a year.

I have become very depressed about not being able to lose weight which might cause them not to do it.

For those of you who pray please include me in your prayers.

Pete

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I really appreciate all who have commented. I am still weighing options and will see the Doc next Tuesday. I am even toying with the idea of trying to see if I can do it on my own.

My wife wants me to do it. I want to do it. If I do nothing I am afraid that my quality of life will continue to go down and eventually I will not be well enough or alive to do it.

Pete53

I thought you would like to check out our chat line on baritric surgery in Madison,WI

meriter.com/living/discussion or bariatric@surgery.wisc.edu

The people here are very friendly and informational: Most have had the bypass but some have had the lap band. We have a very big crowd and it seems like its getting bigger every month.

Again Good Luck with your dissicion.

No one can make the dission for you, That's all up to you. As for me it was the best one I have made in years.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had my appointment with the Doc I picked to do the surgery. I was impressed with his professionalism and the time he spent answering my questions. I am going to see a Caridology Doc who may use my stress test from VA to get cleared for surgery. I also need to get some sort of test that they scope my stomach on Sept 13th.

He told me that if Insurance oks it will be in 30 to 60 days and that I am the perfect canidate. He does Lap Band and the Gastric Bypass Surgery and told me that Lap Band is the one for me.

He said that if all goes well I would probably lose about a pound a week which is fine with me. It can be more or it can be less.

I was really anxious today but I got over it.

Guest jangrin
I had my appointment with the Doc I picked to do the surgery. I was impressed with his professionalism and the time he spent answering my questions. I am going to see a Caridology Doc who may use my stress test from VA to get cleared for surgery. I also need to get some sort of test that they scope my stomach on Sept 13th.

He told me that if Insurance oks it will be in 30 to 60 days and that I am the perfect canidate. He does Lap Band and the Gastric Bypass Surgery and told me that Lap Band is the one for me.

He said that if all goes well I would probably lose about a pound a week which is fine with me. It can be more or it can be less.

I was really anxious today but I got over it.

Good for you Pete,

The most important thing is for you to feel good about the decision. I'm glad the doctor took the time to answer your questions and you have confidence in him. That is key to a sucessful result. A pound a week is perfect because as you loose the weight you'll be able to exercise a little bit and increase your muscle tone some. I know it's hard with DMII, but you'd be surprised what two Cambell's soup cans are able to accomplish. I'm really happy for you, just take it slow and steady.

Jangrin :o

Guest rickb54

Pete,

I want to wish you the best. I know how you must feel since at 6'2" I am at 322 lbs. Gain of 94 lbs in three years. I never heard of lap band before... but after all the diets Ive been on maybe it is right for me. Like you I have many medical problems that actually prohibit me from serious exercise.

Astham

COPD

Back injury

drop foot

sleep apena

I've got a doctor appointment tomorrow I think I will ask him about this.

• HadIt.com Elder
Pete,

I want to wish you the best. I know how you must feel since at 6'2" I am at 322 lbs. Gain of 94 lbs in three years. I never heard of lap band before... but after all the diets Ive been on maybe it is right for me. Like you I have many medical problems that actually prohibit me from serious exercise.

Astham

COPD

Back injury

drop foot

sleep apena

I've got a doctor appointment tomorrow I think I will ask him about this.

Rick:

I am really happy and I am 6'1 used to be 6'2 and weigh 302 but was weighed by new Doc at 295. Lets keep in touch on this maybe we can have a mini Hadit support group. I guess you are using tri care and I am not sure of how they will treat it as some bariatric surgery is hard to get approved.

If I can help in any way let me know. Seems that since Feb Medicare approved lap band for almost all who wanted it and the gates have opened.