Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab Appointment Went Poorly

Rate this question

AmicusBrief

Question

I had my Voc Rehab appointment today and it went pretty badly. The VR counselor was rude and condescending. He said I only had 17 months of allotted benefits out of a total of 48 so it was a waste of time to try for an associates degree and extensions are impossible. He also said he didn't think anything was wrong with me because I'm only rated 10% for PTSD and 10% for tinnitus. He said he was there to help vets that are "really" disabled like guys that have lost a leg. I told him that my PTSD counselor and case manager recommended I seek vocational rehab and get out of the medical field. He went on the say that my appeal attorney (PTSD rating increase, counselor, and case manager didn't know what they are doing and I should just go look for a job. I've only worked 6 months since early 2009 and have been homeless since then. I can't cope with any more death and dying at work. But, it doesn't look like I can get retrained in another occupation. Is there any way to bypass this guy and get some help from someone not so caviler about my situation? Suggestions?

I call bull shit!! For one he is not a Doctor and for him to make his shady determination is ridiculous.

"He said I only had 17 months of allotted benefits out of a total of 48 so it was a waste of time to try for an associates degree and extensions are impossible."

How much Post 911 do you have left?

How much more school do you need for what you want?

Do you currently have a claim in for an increase for your PTSD? Tinnitus is at it's max.

You can get an extension, but in order for that you would have to have a handicap employment or serious handicap employment. This would be determined on review or if you had an increase in your service connection conditon of PTSD.

He also said he didn't think anything was wrong with me because I'm only rated 10% for PTSD and 10% for tinnitus. He said he was there to help vets that are "really" disabled like guys that have lost a leg.

That is a biased comment to make you feel guilty, so that you do not pursue the benefits you are entitled too. This guy here is clearly a smuck and goes to show that you will have to show him that you are aware of what you are entitled too. If you get a denial, it is not the end of the world. It may seem like it, but you can appeal that decision and get what is yours.

I've dealt with these jackals for quite a while and am use to their tactics. Please feel free to contact me for any other questions.

Stay strong

Dot

I used some of my GI bill for a 2 year degree so that leaves 17 months of the total 48. I'm trying to get another 2 year degree in a different field so I can work again.

I have an appeal pending for an increase in my PTSD rating. My counselor stated 70% and my attorney requested TDIU at 100%. That was back in January. I've been homeless since 2009. I just got HUD -VASH housing and was trying for rehab to be employable. I suspect even if I could deal with the stress nobody is going to give me a job when I've been fired for work problems and unemployed for 4 years. Without voc rehab about all I can do is sit and wait for a decision on my appeal. Any hope I had of being productive is pretty much gone.

try something in computer security. It is huge right now, there are programs that take less than 17 mos. and you really don't need a degree but a certification and a little experience, Try to gain the experirnce thru volunteering or interning,

Try to put that xxxxxxxx out of your mind; he sounds like one of those school teachers who hate kids but insist on teaching anyway.

Seek out all aid and use it - you deserve more than many folks already receiving assistance who've never done a thing for this country.

Chin up! smile.png

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Dude,

I'm sorry you had to deal with such an xxxxxxx. I had a similar encounter when I went to VOC rehab a few years back. The but even said I didn't qualify for travel because I didn't live far enough away, yet I had been getting travel for years from the VAMC which is closer. You can't fix stupid.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

I went ahead and applied for the Pell Grant and will ask for a state tuition waiver at the school. Maybe that will get me in for fall semester. Hopefully, I can hold out until something else gels. I don't really see why I can't finish a 2 year degree with the 17 months I have. Unless my math is screwed up, even at 8 months per year that's still less than 17, not counting any summer attendance. At worst I figure 18 months max, that leaves me 1 month to deal with. After living for several years in the mountains I can probably find the strength to persevere. I'm not going to let this jacka$$ beat me down. Thanks for the advise and support.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Dot. I had a rehab counselor when I asked for that quality of life thing a few years ago. He tried everything to discourage me and I was P&T. If you are 30% they want to say there is nothing wrong with you and if you are P&T then you are a waste of time. Bonus Army where you at when we need you?

John