Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Small Victory And It Only Took 7 Years

Rate this topic

bm6546

I received a phone call from a nice guy from the VA a couple days ago. He told me the VA has approved my request for a temporary 100% convalescent for 3 months. He also told me that I was awarded a 30% rating effective October 19, 2012. I would receive my award letter next week and retro will follow shortly after.

Today I noticed on E Bennys that my AB8 letter shows me rated at 30% effective December 1, 2012. I also noticed on the Explorer that they have me rated at 30%. My original claim was filed in June 2006 and was denied 3 times and went to the BVA and remanded back almost 1 1/2 years ago. I'm not going to worry about the effective date until I receive the official letter, hopefully next week sometime.

I am very happy and also a little nervous about all this. Almost 7 years to the day. Thats 2,555 days. Guess the old saying that I like to use is "Hang in there and NEVER give up".

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

How did they decide your effective date as Dec. 1st 2012 if your claim is 7 years old? The VA is very tricky and cheat vets on their effective dates any time they can. I would appeal the date unless the VA can really explain why they made that decision. Now the way to get a higher rating is to get an IMO/IME to say you have gotten worse in the last 7 years.

John

I received a phone call from a nice guy from the VA a couple days ago. He told me the VA has approved my request for a temporary 100% convalescent for 3 months. He also told me that I was awarded a 30% rating effective October 19, 2012. I would receive my award letter next week and retro will follow shortly after.

Today I noticed on E Bennys that my AB8 letter shows me rated at 30% effective December 1, 2012. I also noticed on the Explorer that they have me rated at 30%. My original claim was filed in June 2006 and was denied 3 times and went to the BVA and remanded back almost 1 1/2 years ago. I'm not going to worry about the effective date until I receive the official letter, hopefully next week sometime.

I am very happy and also a little nervous about all this. Almost 7 years to the day. Thats 2,555 days. Guess the old saying that I like to use is "Hang in there and NEVER give up".

Congratulations! and hopefully everything comes in as expected. Good luck and God bless

How did they decide your effective date as Dec. 1st 2012 if your claim is 7 years old? The VA is very tricky and cheat vets on their effective dates any time they can. I would appeal the date unless the VA can really explain why they made that decision. Now the way to get a higher rating is to get an IMO/IME to say you have gotten worse in the last 7 years.

John

John,

The guy on the phone told me my effective date was October 19, 2012. My AB8 letter says effective date is December 1, 2012. I haven't received the official letter telling me what they awarded or the breakdown. I checked my bank account, only a million times, and no retro yet.

Not sure yet, but I don't think they would give me 30% for PSVT when I think they would only give me 10%. Maybe because of my heart ablation surgery and them giving me the temporary 100% convalescence for 3 months. Pretty sure there is something else they awarded in addition to my PSVT, like CAD or Anxiety, or something else that I just don't know yet.

I just have to wait for the brown envelope to see for sure.

The waiting is killing me for sure.

Brian

Congratulations! and hopefully everything comes in as expected. Good luck and God bless

Thanks for your reply. I will certainly add more when I get the brown envelope.

Great News ! ! !

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use