Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not sure I have much of a chance of ever getting SC'ed for OSA, but I did have a recent sleep study. I had 157 apneas and 115 partial apenas in 280 of sleep. My oxygen saturation fell to 70%. I am scared to close my eyes because the doctor has told me I have profound OSA and that I am going to die. The CPAP has not worked well for me. Now my DMII is getting worse. I am overweight 6'1"/ 240 lbs. I used dental device and provent with no result. What treatment options do I have that I don't know about?

John

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• In Memoriam

I agree with Bronco. The nose op is painless and takes about 1 week to recover. You will be able to breath through your nose much better for about 20 years more. In that 1 week you must mouth breathe. Least that is what happened to me.

I hope the best for you John.

I don't mean this facetiously: lose weight, a lot of weight. Most patients' OSA improves dramatically with weight loss. Hard to do, but better than dying. I have recently dropped 35 pounds and the difference in my sleep quality is amazing. My wife checks me to make sure I am still breathing, it is so quiet.

Pharyngeal, Uvular, and nasal surgery do very little for most patients. There is a drastic surgery that does: Bi-Max Protrusion The maxilla is detached and moved forward. The mandible is also surgically advanced. This is also called "orthognathic surgery" Braces are usually required to create a stable new bite. Moving both jaws forward increases the caliber of the posterior, inferior pharynx, where most apneic episodes start. It also pulls the base of the tongue forward. An oral surgeon who would do this surgery would use both MRI and CT to predict if the changes in an individual patient justifies the surgery.

• In Memoriam

I have OSA and a CPAP. I am 6'-4" tall and I weigh 170. I weigh the same as I weighted in service. This OSA condition did not reappear for 25 years after my 1976 surgery. The surgeon told me I may have to go through this procedure again later in life.

Nasal surgery was suggested by Johns Doctor, in a recent post.

Not every person with OSA is overweight. Anatomical changes that develop with aging reduce the caliber of the posterior airway space is a cause. But, the research is overwhelming that weight gain is a major factor in the severity of a individual person's disease and weight loss improves the condition in the majority of overweight people with OSA.

• HadIt.com Elder

My OSA worker at the DME is younger and is very slim. He says his OSA is due to TMJ. Seems like OSA can have many causes. In my case I don't really know how long I have had OSA but it was DX'ed in 2011 which woul be about 5 years after DMII dx. and PN dx. After I because P&T in 2002 I have gained some weight....about 25 lbs. I tried Resmed Quattro mask last night. Much leakage and pain. I am not the lonely little petunia in the onion patch since I know at least 50% of those with OSA abandone their CPAPs for one reason or another. I would say that cpap therapy is great birth control therapy.

John