Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not sure I have much of a chance of ever getting SC'ed for OSA, but I did have a recent sleep study. I had 157 apneas and 115 partial apenas in 280 of sleep. My oxygen saturation fell to 70%. I am scared to close my eyes because the doctor has told me I have profound OSA and that I am going to die. The CPAP has not worked well for me. Now my DMII is getting worse. I am overweight 6'1"/ 240 lbs. I used dental device and provent with no result. What treatment options do I have that I don't know about?

John

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

John - I use the FX nasal pillow system, by Resmed (I think) and have had good luck with it. I still wake up about every 2-3 hrs, tho. It took a little time to get used to it but I figure, for now, it's better than dying. For now I'm getting my OSA supplies thru my Medicare w/suppliment but will be seeking the VA taking over. I'm also going to file a claim for OSA associated w/my DM-II and weight gain secondary to my PTSD. Thanks to Berta's recent info, I think it's a win. I still hate using the Bi-pap but whatcha gonna do?

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

The most drastic solution I have ever heard of for OSA is a Trachea (hole in the throat). That comes with a whole lot of other concerns and problems. Your best bet on sorting out these options would be you medical provider. CPAP or BIPAP sometimes needs to be tried/adjusted with different masks and devices. I know some people that have suplemental oxygen while on CPAP that don't require O2 when awake.

On a personal note, every machine I have ever had has Ramp-up as a feature. It took me about 2 days to make sure it was shut off on my first machine because I feel like I am sufficating when it is on.

Work with your doctor, you can find something that should work.

Best regards,

• HadIt.com Elder

To use nasal pillow I will need an operation on my nose....3 hour operation! The VA has actually tried to be helpful, but I know the gold standard is CPAP. My sleep is so disordered I often have to wait a long, long time to fall asleep, and having mask on my face while sleepless drives me nuts. I have been trying for 18 months to get this right. I use medicare and VA. Having high pressure makes it worse since stopping leaks and dealing with pressure sores from the mask (I have to get it tight to stop leakage) makes me dread putting it on at night. You about 50% of those who get CPAP use them after 6 months. It is just a pump with a hose and mask but it is not a custom fit. You get mask off the rack. If your face does not fit contours of the mask you have a problem.

Phil

Maybe you can PM me on how you are working your OSA claim. I have DMII also and now am on Formatin. PN makes it hard for me to walk and exercise. I really don't care much about any money. I am 60% for CAD. I am just afraid I am not going to wake up one morning soon. I was napping today and I was waking up every 15 minutes. I could tell I had stopped breathing. I was gasping a little bit. I have very low pulse so maybe that has saved me so far. I have no problem with CPAP as a concept. It is the reality that is driving me nuts.

John

• In Memoriam

The 70% ox saturation is serious business. I think Jerrel has ox connected to his CPAP. The full face mask has opened my nasal passages, and the passages are more clear than they have been for a long time.

Some things that I have tried are not eating several hours before going to sleep, sleeping under just a sheet so that I don't get too warm, and not going to sleep until I am very tired. This is very bad, because I never know when I am going to sleep. What works for me might not work for others.

You need serious professional help on this.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have serious professional help and I think they are letting me down with conflicting conclusions.

Until/unless you get that nose operation, you are going to need to keep trying until you get a mask that works for you with your CPAP. Not everyone is an "easy fit" CPAP, some take several tries to get a mask/air pressure that works for them.

I did not have an easy time with my CPAP, but now I wont leave home without it. Hang in there.