VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc L, R, Or S?

Rate this topic

So you think that I really should get $3,000 for the 100% disability AND $3,700 for the SMC-L for a total of $6,700 a month??? It just sounds to good to be true....

are you sure the $3700 isn't your monthly total including the special monthly compensation?

are you sure the $3700 isn't your monthly total including the special monthly compensation?

That is my point. I am receiving $3700 - I originally thought that I would receive 100% disability which I thought would be $3000. When I received my rating letter it stated I did in fact get the 100% rating and also a SMC- L. When I started checking why I received $700 more than I thought I would, I found several sites that stated that the SMC is "in addition to" the basic disability and that the monetary value for SMC-L is $3700. So my question was should I get both together ($6700) or is it in fact the $3000 plus $700 for the SMC instead of "in addition to". I am very happy (and surprised) with the $3700 - I just wanted to double check and make sure I (and my wife) are getting everything that is due us. I have ALS and my wife could be a widow shortly.

That is my point. I am receiving $3700 - I originally thought that I would receive 100% disability which I thought would be $3000. When I received my rating letter it stated I did in fact get the 100% rating and also a SMC- L. When I started checking why I received $700 more than I thought I would, I found several sites that stated that the SMC is "in addition to" the basic disability and that the monetary value for SMC-L is $3700. So my question was should I get both together ($6700) or is it in fact the $3000 plus $700 for the SMC instead of "in addition to". I am very happy (and surprised) with the $3700 - I just wanted to double check and make sure I (and my wife) are getting everything that is due us. I have ALS and my wife could be a widow shortly.

i believe some levels of smc is in addition to your service connected disability. but i believe aid and attendance isn't one of them. someone correct me if i am wrong. thanks.

i believe some levels of smc is in addition to your service connected disability. but i believe aid and attendance isn't one of them. someone correct me if i am wrong. thanks.

Thank you!

• HadIt.com Elder

There are two ways to look at things.

The first one is that SMC-L is a higher rate than 100%, so it supersedes the 100%

The other way is based upon wording, which is not the way the VA actually does things.

If you want to see what your actual SMC payment should be, you would need to subtract

whatever basic rate is applicable to your particuliar case.

IE. Basic 100% rate for veteran with spouse.