Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

30 Months Closed Out.

Rate this topic

FullTime

After 30 months my case has been closed out. 100% P&T. I was pretty surprised to say the least... I want to pass on some lessons learned.

1) claim everything no matter what.

I used a VFW service officer to help me with my initial claim. He was very professional but I could tell he had his doubts about the severity of my claims. (maybe it's just me feeling guilty that I "don't look hurt") I ended up going back to him on a second appointment and asked that he add an incidental finding of a small "spot" on my brain which was picked up on a cat scan. Through that, he struck me as busy filling out "legitimate claims" and seemed put off that I wanted this incidental finding noted. That incidental finding was rated at 60%

2) Continue to get treatment... Even if you have "had it" and are completely sick of doctors and all the crap that goes with it.

I was rated higher due to ongoing symptoms, which I sought out acupuncture and continuing care while my claim was being evaluated. They called me back in for a second look around the two year mark on some stuff and I was able to pull those records out and show the examining doctor.

3) Be proud of yourself and keep a positive attitude.

The evaluating doctors have seen it all. Back in the day, I had a pinched nerve and my pain was so high that I honestly couldn't function. After discussing with my wife how I felt that the doctors weren't taking me seriously, she told me that my behavior may not be believable to some of these doctors and it may look like I'm faking, or making it up. I thought about this and it made sense. I regained my composure and started acting like the proud military member I wanted to be and I started getting much better results from my care takers. I also focused on how I was going to get myself to a better place and actually started asking these doctors how I was going to help myself. I got more help from those who saw me seriously trying to help myself than ever!

4) Read the regs.

After I decided that I was the only one who was responsible for helping me, I read all the regs pertaining to my case and was able to articulate exactly what was wrong in terms that VA doctors understood. Things like "I have a loss of sensation below my right knee, It is called Radiculopathy, It feels like it is numb and tingly at the same time" This gives your doctor something that is "ratable" per the regulations and a description for the severity.

I hope this helps folks. My case was strange in that I didn't have to appeal anything, I felt like the VA did me right by giving me honest evaluations and feed back on the percentages and why. In total I had 320% rated for the secret formula that they could call me 100% P&T. Now the important part is to make the most out of what I have left and I hope the same for anyone who reads this.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Good on you and thanks for your post. From what you stated: "In total I had 320% rated for the secret formula that they could call me 100% P&T." I would say you should be also receiving an SMC "s" award of about $350 monthly. If not, you should request it, as it should be automatic once you reach 100% + 60%.

pr

Bravo and Congrats !!! What a wonderful dose of good news to start the day !!! Thank you for your service and thank you for sharing. Don't forget to look up your state benefits for 100% P&T

God Is So Good!!

This is so amazing and what a GREAT read to wake up with on Hadit!! I am so happy for you and you can relax now. I like what you posted and it bears just repeating!!

Claim it all ( whether it be a big or small claim, but just get it in your records)!

Stay in Treatment! (very important)

Be Proud of Yourself! Keep a Positive attitude! ( A Must and you fell better about yourself)

Read the Regs Read the Regs!! (will help you through)

Thank you for your service, FullTime!

Celia

You know that "It Is What It Is" and I really am Doing the Best that I can ..taking one day at a time.

God Bless all!

• HadIt.com Elder

The "Stay in treatment" statement is so true. Since I started to get treatment for my single SC disability in the late 90's and have been SC'ed for 5 other SC conditions and it has added to my compensation level. Also, it is a good insurance policy if the VA goes on an expeditian one day to cut compensation. If you have been in constant treatment for your condition at the VA and have ten years worth of treatment records it will be hard to dismiss your claimed compensation unless you truly get better over time.

John

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use