Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ebenefit Status Says "with Vso" What Does That Mean?

Rate this question

bucfan47

Question

What happened with me, when my claim was "with VSO", I called the VSO to check on it. They basically said there was no hurry for them to prepare the claim, that it was docketed, and that the Board was still working on claims docketed 2 years prior, thus they need not hurry on mine.

About 18 months later, I checked here on hadit, and found that some Veterans with a docket number earlier than mine had already got a decision and my claim was still "with VSO". So I called the VSO again, and they got kinda mad, and finally got it done. (But, as Berta pointed out, the National VSO did a poor job, and I got a very mediocre result even with great evidence).

The National VSO seemed quite miffed that I would even suggest they hurry up because they were delaying my claim. But, I knew that Vets were getting board decisions with a later docket number than mine, and mine could not advance to the Board judge because it is "with VSO".

I got a decision within a few months after that.

Remember, your VSO probably has a charter that says they will "cooperate with the VA". Keep this in perspective. You hire an attorney, and you find out he works for your opponent in the lawsuit. You thought you got a good deal because your attorney was "free". This is what you are doing when you sign on with a VSO. He has promised to help your opponnent (the VA). They get away with that by saying..gee, the VA system is non adversarial, so the VA is not your "opponent" in law.

My claim was specifically delayed at the VSO level. Not the mail, not the BVA backlog...but the VSO. And if it happens once, it will likely happen again. The 4.3 years VCS says it takes for a Board Appeal , is, in part, exacerbated by the VSO.

Edited by broncovet

Bottom line: If you have a VSO, then you have to stay on them because they can delay your claim and you wont even know. You dont want to piss them off like I did, however. Just call and ask a "status" on your VSO's development to the Board. Also, find out your docket number and ask them what number the VA is on.

Currently with a VSO means that if in fact your appeal is currently at the BVA under their jurisdiction in washington ,dc. and you have a poa you are screwed, as far as getting them to review and submit arguments to your claim in a timely manner. You must face the reality that these vso's ALSO have their own backlog, and are one of the major cause of delay's of adjudication at the bva level.

I currently have an appeal at the bva, and i do not have a VSO ,(Pro Se Veteran) but ebenefits still states my claim is with my VSO for review.When i call the bva for status they verify that my files are in fact there, but awaiting review by the veteran law judge. So i would not hold my breath waiting for adjudication anytime soon. I've been there for 15 months already. Take broncovets advise. I would stay on your vso as much as you see fit, because these people WILL forget about you, and get to your claim at their own sweet #$% time.

Currently with VSO for review = In for the long haul...... JMHOwink.pngwink.pngbiggrin.png

Berta states,

As I mentioned here before, in my opinion as a hard core long term claimant, the 646 and also the I-8 VA appeal certification sheet are just VATWFAMs (Time wasting ' farting around' maneuvers,on VA's part . I could gripe all day about the I-8... a check list Yes or No..... did you (VA) do this and that etc etc

On this issue I tend to agree with Berta. VA expects the VSO's to know the Veteran's claim and certify the claim. MOst VSO's do not understand the claim process. I guarantee any Veteran who has been on Hadit for any length of time, knows their claim BETTER than the VSO. Just stating the facts. - JMO

P.S. of course when Berta say, "va's part" she is talking about the Corporate VA and not the folks who are n the trenches actually trying to get decisions on these claims". :)

Edited by harleyman

In reference to Carlie's point, there are at least TWO black hole bermuda triangle waiting lists:

1. Any time you submit anything to the VA.

2. AMC or any type of appeals, including the BVA, CAVC, or even DRO. If your claim is remanded, then the wait times are automatically quadrupled.