VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea And Diabetes Ii

Rate this question

prvet

Question

Hi:

I went to a private MD for SA. I'm SC with diabetes II and NP in both hand and legs, 50% SC. He gave me this diagnose: "This patient has severe OSA with hypoxemia (!) and this explains the degree of hypersomnia and dysmtos. Also the onset of diabetes and OSA appear to be concomitant. In any case, he warrants therapy with CPAP. Will begin therapy with close follow up to ensure optimal CPAP compliance". Will this could help me to summit a claim? I need advice. Thx.

Edited by prvet

UPDATE: We hope to submit the final FDC plus a TDIU claim early next month. In the process of gathering evidence, we uncovered a five year study that coincidentally was funded in part by the VA and used VA patients as study subjects. [The rating officer says, "D'Oh!".

I'll post a link to that one for anyone pursuing this etiology. In my favor is the fact that in addition to sleep apnea, I had other factors of metabolic syndrome (other than diabetes itself) in service. Once Dr. Bash has finished his letter, I'll post the relevant sections showing the etiology of sleep apnea -->> diabetes. This will be a fully developed claim, so hopefully we'll know before Jesus comes back whether this approach works -- and I'm hoping many other veterans will benefit from this research/claim process.

VA Funded study identifying sleep apnea as a serious risk factor/cause of diabetes here.

• HadIt.com Elder

No doubt weight gain can trigger OSA. If DMII causes weight gain then maybe you can attack it from that angel. Also anti-depressants cause weight gain. If you are depressed and have DMII maybe result in OSA or vice vera, Ha.

Good points, John.... Dr. Bash's approach is to demonstrate that a combination of stress, anxiety and my SC physical issues caused weight gain leading to Diabetes II -- OR -- as secondary to hypertension and sleep apnea. Most of the etiology and evidence he's providing supports his "OR" conclusion. His etiology is VERY similar to that used in two cases that were won at the BVA showing diabetes was caused or aggrivated by sleep apnea.

It should be interesting.