Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

So I Received The Proposal To Reduce

Rate this question

Greg88

Question

So the VA sent the Proposal to Reduce my Diabetes Type 2 from 100% to 40%, theirs only 1 problem, I don't have Type 2 I have Type 1. I have been at 100% for the last 15.5 years and 60% before that. I used the VA healthcare for 22 years for my diabetes and then switched to my present private Dr. 17 years ago, I continued to use the VA till 2002 or 2003 for my eye checks. When I went to the C&P exam in Sept. 2012, I brought a DBQ for diabetes filled out by my Dr., a letter from my Dr. explaining my condition and present complications, and that in his opinion it was permanent and total (he is the head of Internal medicine for a big NY hospital) the only evidence that was reviewed was the Medical records going back to 2004 that I brought and the DBQ that I brought. I'm writing up the letter for the hearing, I'll bring it down Monday. I guess that battle begins now for real.

Edited by Greg88

• Answers 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I totally understand where you are coming from. I also believe you will previal in this. This is the way your condition is rated now, and it is not the same as they rated then, I really hte to use the word your diabetes has impoved, we know and VA knows diabetes does not usually improve. But they legally cannot reduce the Diabetes without notifying you, and they can't not look at the secodnary conditions. But they can break the diabetes out separately from those secondary's.

IU may end up being a moot point, as I think you will end up being rated at 100% schedular and IU will not be an issue. Especially if you have the issues, as you have related to us here at Hadit and then with your private medical records and doctor's reports. You are in control of this situation. Please, please file a claim for the autonomic neuropathy and any other DM type 1 specific illness /conditions as secondary to your diabetes type 1.

Thanks Harley, I was wondering what DBQ would be used for Autonomic neuropathy, I checked Neurology and Endocrine, but did not see it. I have to say I'm a little apprehensive about the hearing. I was'nt till I talked to the DAV SO, and basically he told me he could not support me, I figured at least he would know the in and outs of the CFR, but he says he does not know and all I need is my testimony, which to me sounds like going to a gunfight with a knife. Once again Thank You Harley, Broncovet and Phillip for you excellent input and patience. Please have a nice weekend.

Gregory

Is there any chance your doctor would be curious and want to sit in on a VA hearing just to have the experience? Sometimes doctors like to check out new things. If he was willing to go to the hearing with you (hearings are usually in the morning). If you told the VA, the "doctor" was coming to speak on your behalf, I think the VA would make sure you and the doctor would not be kept waiting around.

Also, it's just my thought, but there are alot of doctors out in the retirement community, I think who would be willing to do some IMOs just to have something to do in the retirement years. I might start checking into such a scenerio and see if I get any takers. How hard would it be, it certainly is not physical and if their learned brain is still working it could be very beneficial to Veterans. Especially now that the DBQs are the most important thing. - JMO

Edited by harleyman

Harley, I was wondering if you by chance what the DBQ was for Autonomic Neuropathy, I'm having a tough time even finding an ICD code for it. With diabetes it's now called Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy (DAN) and it covers ED, Hypoglycemic Unawareness and a list of complications I really don't want to think about (thank god i don't have those is all I say) I see my MD this week and would like to fill out the DBQs for what I have, he filled out the diabetes, and the C&P examiner covered the peripheral neuropathy one. I don't think I've seen anything that covers these problems.

So today I received a New Proposal to Reduce that superseded the old one. The new reduction is from 100% to 70%, but there still seeing me as a Type 2 diabetic, the funny thing is the very last line of the original proposal said there reducing to 70%. I think their trying to get me to roll over and accept this. They say the reviewed medical records, well I don't think they were mine, cause when your taking 7 shots a day for the last 7 years, and before that 4 shots a day for 20 years and 2 shots from the begining your not Type 2 your Type 1, but that shows how hard the records are being reviewed.

Edited by Greg88