Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

So I Received The Proposal To Reduce

Rate this question

Greg88

Question

So the VA sent the Proposal to Reduce my Diabetes Type 2 from 100% to 40%, theirs only 1 problem, I don't have Type 2 I have Type 1. I have been at 100% for the last 15.5 years and 60% before that. I used the VA healthcare for 22 years for my diabetes and then switched to my present private Dr. 17 years ago, I continued to use the VA till 2002 or 2003 for my eye checks. When I went to the C&P exam in Sept. 2012, I brought a DBQ for diabetes filled out by my Dr., a letter from my Dr. explaining my condition and present complications, and that in his opinion it was permanent and total (he is the head of Internal medicine for a big NY hospital) the only evidence that was reviewed was the Medical records going back to 2004 that I brought and the DBQ that I brought. I'm writing up the letter for the hearing, I'll bring it down Monday. I guess that battle begins now for real.

Edited by Greg88

• Answers 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry if I asked this before:

Do you get SSDI and if so is it solely for the Diabetes Type one and any complications (secondarys) due directly to the Diabetes Type 1?

If your doctor willing ( If he cannot go to the hearing ---great idea from Harleyman_)---to prepare an IMO that conforms to the IMO criteria here at hadit, and covers every secondary condition as well as medically enlightens the VA on what type of diabetes you actually have?

Berta, the funny thing was I was pemanently retired by the Marines for diabetes mellitus type 1, the VA became my sole medical support for 23 years for Type 1, the Type 1 issue should be a moot point, it's 37 years after so the Type 1 is protected. The C&P found the peripheral neuropathy, ED, and the examiner commented on the issue that had made me unemployed in 1997, the hypoglycemic unawareness (which is another secondary related to diabetics who have the disease a long time) the VA does not have anything mentioning diabetic autonomic neuropathy (DAN) in it's DBQs, though it's easy to be found in medical journals and books. I'm seeing an endocrinologist for an IMO a week before the hearing, just for this issue. As Harley said there not looking at the total medical history and I did not realize how important to the VA computer the ICD codes were, now I do. My Dr.s new DBQ will outline what my condition is now and his new letter will say nothing has improved in the last 16 years.

I also believe that taking your doctor to the hearing would be very beneficial to you. I also believe that you have the medical documentation to support your rating. I would have a copy of all your secondary diagnosis with you and give the judge the big picture. JMHO.

So I went to the hearing today and was told by DAV since I was only 100% since 2007, the VA could reduce me with only 1 exam. Now in 1997 the DAV fought to get me to 100% and I received it in 1998, so I have to start arguing about when I was made 100%, so then I hand in all my evidence and was told to come back in a hour. I come back and I'm told because one of the things in the rating schedule are not there (it was not there in 1997 either) they were going to reduce, but they will allow me 6 months to get things in order. But I had no hearing and there was no way they could go thru my evidence and make a determination, I think at this point they don't know how to handle my case, my evidence was ironclad, 2 Dr.s notes, a new DBQ and they want 6 more months to fart around. DAV pressuring take the 6 months. Screw it if they make the decision to reduce, let my claim be reviewed by someone who knows medicine, if they reduce at least I can hire a lawyer, maybe get a newspaper or TV station to do a in depth report about the VA and how their putting Vets through unneeded stress.