Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health C&p Results, Any Opinions Appreciated.

Rate this question

jeffs17

Question

1. Diagnosis

a. Does the veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with a mental

disorder(s)?

[X] Yes

Diagnosis #1: Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Moderate

Indicate the Axis category:

[X] Axis 1

Diagnosis #2: Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Indicate the Axis category:

[X] Axis 1

b. Axis III - medical diagnosis: Pain (shoulder, wrist, knee)

c. Axis IV- Psychosocial and Environmental Problems:

Financial stress, medical problems

d. Axis V - Current global assessment of functioning (GAF) score: 45

2. Differentiations of symptoms

-----------------------------------------------

a. Does the veteran have more than one mental disorder diagnosed?

[X] Yes

b. Is it possible to differentiate what symptoms(s) is/are attributable to

each diagnosis?

[X] Yes

There is some symptom overlap between depression and anxiety.

3. Occupational and social impairment

------------------------------------------------------

a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of occupational and social impairment in regards to all mental

diagnoses?

[X} Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking

and/or mood.

The Veteran's functional impairments are believed to be the result of the cumulative effects of both mental health conditions.

Also both conditions developed in response to the physical limitations associated with the Veteran's medical problems(wrist, shoulder

knee injuries.)

For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that apply to Veteran's diagnosis:

[X} Depressed mood

[X] Anxiety

[X] Suspiciousness

[X] Panic attacks more than once a week

[X] Chronic sleep impairment

[X] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent events.

[X] Disturbances of motivation and mood

[X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships

[X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or work like setting

[X] Suicidal ideation

5. Competency

------------------------

Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs?

[X] Yes

Based on all the evidence available it is my opinion that the Veteran's symptoms are at least likely as not (50% or greater probability)

due to or the result of his service connected right shoulder and multiple left/hand wrist fractures. Specifically, the Veteran's symptoms

are believed to be the direct result of the physical limitations related to his medical conditions. His initial depression and anxiety regarding this fact has progressed over time as his injury is not yet repaired and he has been out of work over a year. It is believed that

both the Major Depressive Disorder and the Generalized Anxiety Disorder are contributing equally to moderate to severe impairments

in the Veteran's social and occupational functioning. Although he is not currently working, it is believed that his depressed mood and

anxiety would make it unlikely that he would be able to work reliably and efficiently in either a physical or sedentary job at this time.

The Veteran began receiving treatment for anxiety and depression in January 2013. With additional treatment he may see symptom reduction and a increase in functioning , however, at this time his symptoms remain moderate to severe and have drastically reduced this Veteran's quality of life.

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

jeffs17, was an C&P done for your knee as well? I had two other C&P done for my back and sinus. When the RO sent me paperwork, they said that they were waiting on my records from the chiropractor, which I contacted the Chiropractor who stated that they haven't received anything(request). Based on my C&P results for my back, I'm satisfied with the findings and I don't want them to consider anything else and decide on my claim so I called my VA rep here in the area to get his opinion and he suggested to fillout an 21-4138 stating such.

jeffs17, was an C&P done for your knee as well? I had two other C&P done for my back and sinus. When the RO sent me paperwork, they said that they were waiting on my records from the chiropractor, which I contacted the Chiropractor who stated that they haven't received anything(request). Based on my C&P results for my back, I'm satisfied with the findings and I don't want them to consider anything else and decide on my claim so I called my VA rep here in the area to get his opinion and he suggested to fillout an 21-4138 stating such.

If you are satisfied with the evidence the VA currently has, an you believe waiting for more evidence is futile, then send the VA Form 21-4138, Veteran's statement in support of claim, and tell the VA that you do not have any more evidence to submit, you do not want them to try to get DR. XXXXX (chiropractic) records,and to please rate the case based on the current evidence of reocrd. Sign and date the form and upload it in eBenefits, or mail it, or fax it to your local Regional Office.

Also, you can call the 800#, stay on hold for however long it takes, and tell the call center employee who finally answers thephone, the exact same thing you wrote here, and have him fax his VA 21-0820 he must fill out to the perosn who currently has your file. They know who it is and they can email an attachment to the VSR or RVSR.

Either way, doing this will move your file from pending, to Ready for Decision, as long as all federal records have been received and all issues the RO is mandated to do,have been completed.

• HadIt.com Elder

A GAF of 45 means you have severe symptoms in the psychotic range so I think 70%-100%. I got 70% with a GAF of 50 and great IMO's. This was 12 years ago and mental health C&P exam formats have changed a lot. I won solely on basis of IMO's. Just a few years ago it was much harder to win if you depended on a C&P for mental health claims. I never got more than a 30% rating depending on C&P exam results. The only thing they asked me was "Do you hear voices?" and "Are you working?"