Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long Does This Normally Take?

Rate this question

RUSSDUNCAN6672

Question

My claim was completed after about 2 years. I was found 100% SC, Permanent on 20 April 2013, effective date 01 August 2011. Since receiving the decision I had to submit another form to the Buffalo VARO electing to receive VA Benefits in Lieu of Retirement so I could fall under concurrent receipt and recieve both disability and retirement. To date I have yet to receive a dime. I understand that retro pay will take some time to compute at DFAS but I would have thought that my monthly entitlement would have started by now. My local congressman has inquired on the hold-up twice but still nothing. The Buffalo VARO opened up a new claim labeled Eligibility Determination. That opened up on 15 May 2013 but it still sits at "Claim Received". Anyone have any experience with this situation? Just kind of wondering if its gonna take another 2 years to get a monthly check....

Russ Duncan

I also retired with well over 26 years of active duty, and this is how it worked for me. I started my came on July 2010, retired from the Military Sep 2010. I was awarded a partial award on March 2012, and about 60 days after I was notified by the VA of my award I received my back pay going back to Nov 2010. I remember after I was awarded my first 90%, the VA said that they had to notify DFAS about the award so that I wouldn't get over paid or in case I owed the Military some money. Once the DFAS was done auditing my pay records they release it back to the VA for authorization to pay me my retro amount of $27000 which I received about 60 days later . The DFAS at that point only withheld $8.00 as a VA waiver and after a few months it went to $1.00, then it just fell off completely when I was awarded 100% which was a year later. On my final award of 100%, I only received $11,014 back pay and over $34,000 was withheld for no reason at all, at least I wasn't told why, but after a month or so later, Bang the money hit my bank. Now I have a dependency claim still pending which is still under Claim Received Status, but the big award was already made. At this point I can only say is hold on, the money is coming. With us retirees it's a different ball game, because they want to make sure we don't get over paid. Once the money starts to flow you will forget all the stress you went through. Good luck my friend and I hope your claim is resolved soon.