Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu, Va Vs. Ssdi

Rate this question

Guest Jim S.

Question

I know the VA gives you a percentage for your disability, does the SS do the same for SSDI?

I have some non service connected disabilities that combined with what I hope to be service connected, make me TDIU as far as SS is concerned. Does the SS give a percentage for each area or part of the body that is affected by a disability or do they just make a total assessment of the disability?

In my award letter from SS, they only listed what was sufficient for award purposes, they didn't go into detail and list every item I listed, as the cause of my unemployability and the perminance of their effects.

Also I am curous if the VARO must consider TDIU even if not found to have a percentage higher than 60% since I am on record with the VARO as being awarded SSDI?

JIM S. :unsure:

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• Founder

hi jim -

social security does not give percentages of disability like the va. with social security you can either work or not. so in a way social security is either 100% or nothing. an award letter from social security should help your claim though as clearly it is evidence that you cannot work.

I know the VA gives you a percentage for your disability, does the SS do the same for SSDI?

I have some non service connected disabilities that combined with what I hope to be service connected, make me TDIU as far as SS is concerned. Does the SS give a percentage for each area or part of the body that is affected by a disability or do they just make a total assessment of the disability?

In my award letter from SS, they only listed what was sufficient for award purposes, they didn't go into detail and list every item I listed, as the cause of my unemployability and the perminance of their effects.

Also I am curous if the VARO must consider TDIU even if not found to have a percentage higher than 60% since I am on record with the VARO as being awarded SSDI?

JIM S. :unsure:

• HadIt.com Elder

the question then becomes is it the SC issues causing your unemployability or the NSC issues causing the unemployability issue, this is what I am fighting. I am disabled by SSD for heart problems, the VA has me SC for PTSD at 50% so they keep ignoring the TDIU issue. My appeal for heart problems secondary to PTSD is still pending, so we are playing the chicken and the egg game which came first the heart diseae or the PTSD.

the question then becomes is it the SC issues causing your unemployability or the NSC issues causing the unemployability issue, this is what I am fighting. I am disabled by SSD for heart problems, the VA has me SC for PTSD at 50% so they keep ignoring the TDIU issue. My appeal for heart problems secondary to PTSD is still pending, so we are playing the chicken and the egg game which came first the heart diseae or the PTSD.

Wow, that's a tough one to prove i bet:-) PTSD can cause many physical symptoms, but none of them can be easily linked and the studies just don't exist to prove it. My wife starting having severe anemia and other blood disorders around the time the rapes occured. At this time she was withholding the rapes from everyone, so they ran many tests trying to figure out what exactly was wrong. It wasn't until two years later that the psychiatrist made the connection, but said it was probably true, but only a theory. The wife also suffers from neuro-dermititus, which is an anxiety induced severe rash over the majority of her body...she has also had panic attacks so severe that her throat swelled shut and she had to go to the ER for benadryl (though the doctors claimed it was due to meds she was taking at the time, she has had similar epsiodes while not on an medications). In short, it is VERY difficult to prove that PTSD can cause any physical problems, but I KNOW it does and have seen it first hand...I hope you get what you deserve.

Wow, that's a tough one to prove i bet:-) PTSD can cause many physical symptoms, but none of them can be easily linked and the studies just don't exist to prove it. My wife starting having severe anemia and other blood disorders around the time the rapes occured. At this time she was withholding the rapes from everyone, so they ran many tests trying to figure out what exactly was wrong. It wasn't until two years later that the psychiatrist made the connection, but said it was probably true, but only a theory. The wife also suffers from neuro-dermititus, which is an anxiety induced severe rash over the majority of her body...she has also had panic attacks so severe that her throat swelled shut and she had to go to the ER for benadryl (though the doctors claimed it was due to meds she was taking at the time, she has had similar epsiodes while not on an medications). In short, it is VERY difficult to prove that PTSD can cause any physical problems, but I KNOW it does and have seen it first hand...I hope you get what you deserve.

:unsure:

It is the opposite with me. I have T&P T&P but have been denied by social security twice for a heart attack and have had two open heart surgeries whic caused nerve damage. I have an appt. with a Neurologist to determine the extent of the damage. I had the second open heart in a VA hospital.

Jim