Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fdc Or Farce?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

The VA is touting the "Fully Developed Claim", so what is it? According to the VA website,

http://www.benefits.va.gov/fdc/

Veterans, Servicemembers and survivors simply submit all required records and documentation at the time they make their claim and certify that they have no further evidence. VA can then review and process the claim more quickly.

I have discussed this with Vets with a wide variety of opinions as to whether this works or not. First, remember you are gathering evidence on your nickel, that is, before you file, you order your SMRs, doctor evidence, nexus, etc, so the time in obtaining records "does not count" toward your effective date as your effective date is the later of the facts found or date you applied. If you wait 3 months for medical records, and file 3 months later, you will lose that 3 months of effective dates...or will you??

Not according to VA. The VA promises "up to a year" in retro if you file a FDC, here:

http://www.stripes.com/news/va-offering-retro-benefits-to-encourage-use-of-developed-claims-1.233528

The question is, is VA doing as promised? Well that question remains unanswered, but VA history is to delay, deny, and wait till we die. So, we are supposed to believe, that, automatically, when we file a FDC, someone gets out a magic marker, and puts the magical "FDC" on your claim and "poof" the VA culture of delay and deny goes away in and instant with the magical 3 letter word "FDC". I doubt it.

Do remember you are waiving your "duty to assist" when you file a FDC. The VA wont assist you, because you certify you have already done all the work!!

Is it a good idea? Maybe. But I am not sure I want 1) to give up any effective date and try to get VA to keep their promises, I have a difficult time in VA keeping their old promises so now they want me to beleive their "new promises"?

I think e filing will save time. No mailman. email is faster than snail mail. If you are pretty sure you have all your evidence then go ahead and sign away your rights to the "duty to assist" if you like, but do so with caution. J1vo

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I sort of have a different take on the link explaining FDC, Broncovet....as to the evidence.... then again I am not really familiar with how FDC work.

I think it was a great idea regarding BDD claims but the site includes survivor claims and says to go to e benefits.....

yet VA wont allow us survivors to use ebenefits. :wacko:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/fdc_checklist.asp

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

This is still a good option for the slam dunkers. Any complexity at all seems to make it null and void. But we all know that not every veteran has the foresight to do all that is required to file a FDC.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

My Service Rep told me to Just file the FDC and Submit no Evidence let my record at the VA stand for it's self then again I am a 20 Year separated Vet...If the record doesn't stand then we NOD and Submit Private Records...So Far it's worked but the one year retro is for First time filers from what I saw....