VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleepless Nights

Rate this question

Charleese

Question

Hi everyone,

What is the term the VA uses for a person who can't sleep at night. It's not Insomnia because the VA state that Insomnia is not considered an actual disabling condition. What term does the VA use for sleepless nights that is considered a actual disabling condition.

This person is claiming PTSD and saying that his sleepless nights are associated with his PTSD.

Thanks!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I rarely sleep more than 3 or 4 hours usually after 2 or 3 in the morning. I don't take naps either. Now they tell me its sleep apnea and they gave me a breathing machine. With the machine I sleep better but still not much more than 3 or 4 hours.

My outside Doc has given me some samples of Lunestra which I am trying to decide if I want to try. I am afraid if I sleep to soundly I will wake up dead in the morning.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I really appreciate this and will pass this information on to him. Once again thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder
But falling asleep at the wheel during the day because you don't sleep at night is called "narcolepsy" and that, I believe, is a secondary SC condition . . .

No, falling asleep at the wheel during the day because you don't sleep at night, is called falling asleep at the wheel because you don't sleep at night.

Narcolepsy, on the other hand, is falling asleep at anytime of the day or night, uncontrollably, regardless of how much sleep you have already had and regardless of the stimuli that you are currently encountering. MOF, some narcolepsy is most severe when the patient is HIGHLY stimulated and falls uncontrollably asleep, regardless.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am taking rozerem which is a new sleep aide. It is not working for me. Ambien is the best but when I stop taking it I get REM Rebound Insomnia which is awful.