VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependency Claims (Changes In The Works)

Rate this question

harleyman

Question

Well as some of you may know General Allison Hickey Under Secretary of the VA, has been making her rounds to many of the VA Regional Offices and conducting a few hour presentation to the VA employees about thier current work in progress and future changes.

One of the interesting changes the General informed VA employees in her recent visit are the changes currently being implemented in how the VA handles dependency claims.

Evidently, the VA is training the phone/ call center people on how to add dependents into the computer system right over the phone. Resulting in a rapid approched in adding dependents to Veteran's awards. There are some call centers that have implemented this as a satilite program in about 30% if their dependency calls. It seems to be working quite well and they are starting to make the changes at more call centers as we write, thus eliminating the majority of dependency claims, except for those where there are financial administrative issues involved and it takes a person to intervene.

The General stated she did not understand why Veteran's have to jump through so many hoops to simply add their spouse or thier child to their award. She related her experience in the military when you walked up to the window and told the pay clerk you got married or you had a child born, and they added them onto your pay right then and the next payday you had the increase on your pay check. She said our Veteran's are fully capable and be trustworthy and competent enough to tell us if they are married or have children, and there is no reason why dependency claims cannot be handled over the phone with instant computer entry.

I don't know about all of you, but I like this General, and I see some good changes in store for Veteran's in the next 1 to 3 years as VA goes paperless. Hang in there everyone I see clearer skies ahead. As I have time I will try to share more of the things that were presented by the General. By the way, we all found her to be very practical and engaging, but straight forward and she states she had a desire to get rid of the dead weight of some of the processes that were implemented through "fear" by VA, rather than in the spirit of granting benefits to disabled Veterans.

If there is something you want to see changed I will be happy to submit your ideas. (serious ideas for implmenting changes only please) :) harleyman

Edited by harleyman

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well, evidently it's not here in Alabama that they are starting. Over a year now for me that I am hoping that they will complete my dependency claim. I just don't know why it is such a big deal. I submitted all kinds of evidence that my daughter lives with me and has live with for over nine years. Yet my ex who works for the VA in Augusta still receives an apportionment from my benefits for my daughter. I sent my daughters up to date school records, letters from champ a with the address, a letter from my daughter, her license and other documents, yet they still won't change dependency status.

I hope they stop this mess. For nine years we have not received one cent from this lady yet she works for the VA and still collects an apportionment! Wow!

I literally just submitted a dependency addition on the FDC ebenefits website and it went closed in a matter of about an hour. Which was weird because I did it at about 2 in the morning. But we will see how long it takes to actually show up on the payment. I'll keep ya'll posted

I literally just submitted a dependency addition on the FDC ebenefits website and it went closed in a matter of about an hour. Which was weird because I did it at about 2 in the morning. But we will see how long it takes to actually show up on the payment. I'll keep ya'll posted

For this to be opened and closed in an hour is NOT good. You need to call the 800# and ask if they are showing a dependancy claim being opened, and ask if it is still open. There is something wrong if it shows opened and closed in just a hour. -Harleyman

For this to be opened and closed in an hour is NOT good. You need to call the 800# and ask if they are showing a dependancy claim being opened, and ask if it is still open. There is something wrong if it shows opened and closed in just a hour. -Harleyman

I filed it using the FDC system. Did it step by step and all it really asked for was the name, birthdate, birth place and the social I believe. Then on the evidence part of the claim, it said that no other evidence was required. When I checked my dependencies, on my awards page, he shows up.

Per your advice, I will definitely call just to be on the safe side, but it looks legit so far. Thanks for prompting me to do my due diligence.