Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

1-800 Vs Iris

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

What is the best way to try to get an answer about a claim status. I have never used Iris and the 800 number is not really helping so, I am thinking about sending an Iris Inquiry.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

You can contact IRIS via:

https://iris.custhelp.com/

Or go to the main VA web site:

http://www.va.gov/ and click on te Contact US part at top of their main page.

The IRIS site will take you step by step. Make sure you have your dates of service, service number etc...all on the DD 214 so have that handy and it helps to prepare the request in a word program first , then copy and paste it into the request area.

I always advise getting email or snail mail response.

This way they cant make anything up by phone.

That reminds me ,my last IRIS request was many months ago. I clicked the phone response button by accident instead of email response and was surprised when VA called me a few days later.

The VA rep said they received “evidence in March 2013” but I had sent my evidence in over a year ago so I said where did this evidence come from and he didnt know and then I said, I have 2 separate issues pending.....which claim got this evidence, and he said he couldnt tell...so I asked him if he could change my IRIS into a follow up email response inquiry and he said sure, no problem...and I never heard anything from IRIS again.....

Do you use ebenefits? That seems to be a good way to get status updates.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I wouldn't recommend calling the 800 number. They are the reason I lost my 100% unemployeabilty because they don't know what they are doing and give you the wrong information. I've been fighting the VA since March 1st to get my pay and percentage back from a mistake they made. My family is in a financial mess right now over their mistake. I'm not sure how the IRIS works. I sent a IRIS on August 22nd and I haven't received anything back from them. Do you have a representative?

Edited by infantry10

I sent an IRIS question in on 6/26/2013 and receive a generic reply today 9/5/2013. I sent 2 other questions in after the June 26th with no reply.

It does not matter who you contact all you can do is sit back and wait.