Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need For C & P Exam Or Not?

Rate this question

puppyduks

Question

I am a Gulf War vet that has been diagnosed from the VA with Fibromyalgia and PTSD. I am holding off filing a claim because I want to send a fully developed claim that is open and shut. On the advice of the VA Rheumatologist I am making an appointment to see the War Related Illness and Injury Study Center to see if I have CMI.

I have a great VSO guiding me and providing support. So far on my claim form I have claimed:

PTSD

Depression

Anxiety D.O.

Mood D.O.

Sexual Trauma (not sure how to get proof of this since it wasn't reported)

Fibromyalgia

CMI

The first four have been diagnosed by the VA mental health team (a social worker and a psychiatrist). I also have an IMO for PTSD.

The sexual trauma I think I am on shaky ground. Nothing was ever reported, and to be truthful I am not so sure I could endure a C&P exam for that. I may take this off the claim form.

The Fibromyalgia was diagnosed by a VA rheumatologist. The CMI is pending my appointment but I am pretty confident I have it based upon my symptoms.

My question is, if I have already had all this diagnosed by the VA, will I need to go through a C&P exam too? Or will they just take the VA diagnoses and call it good? The Fibromyalgia and CMI are presumptive conditions.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree w/basser, they almost always order C&P's. On the sexual assault you should look for changes in behavior after it happened. Very often the injured party starts having abnormal behavior, such as showing up late, art 15's/captain's masts, AWOL, disobeying orders, etc.. jmo

pr

Welcome here.

You will fall under the new 2010 PTSD criteria, here in our PTSD forum. You said you do have the required VA diagnosis of PTSD but you will have to prove the stressor.

"Sexual Trauma (not sure how to get proof of this since it wasn't reported)"

There are ways.... documented outcry statements, sudden changes of duty station and/or demeanor, causing possible discipline problems, etc.....

BUT...VA will lump together all MH issues into one diagnosis with one single rating.

We have some very good MST claim info here under a search.

For the FDC ,have you gone over carefully ( and I can see you probably did as you have a good handle on GW illnesses)

the medical criteria and regulations for the CMI?