VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused And Could Use Some Tips And Advice

Rate this question

LongTooth

Question

Hi,

I have recently started the claims process with the VA (I filed an informal claim on 04-Sept-2013

I see a private therapist and have a current diagnosis of PTSD, Bipolar II, poly substance abuse.

My therapist agrees with me that my disorders are SC

I've taken the initiative already to get copies of my DD214 as well as my private medical records. Currently I'm trying to track down my records from when I was placed on a 72 hr hold in a psych ward in 2000.

My prescribing Psychologist, who puts in time at the practice I go to, is also a VA doc.

I guess my question is this. If my therapist tells me that they have diagnosed me with the above disorders does that mean that my Psychologist (the VA doc) had to have signed off on the diagnosis and if so does this mean that I should have an easier time with the VA?

I'm also concerned that I may have to track down treatment records from the Army (I assume those would be in my DD214?) Where would I look for any SMR's that I may need? I also wonder if maybe I should try and track down any relevant records from my old Unit to show things such as an Article 15 and any evaluations done that would show the onset of my conditions.

Also if anybody could advise me of what else I should be doing at this early stage to present an effective claim please feel free to advise me.

Thank you in advance for any and all help

Jason

so I went and saw a new psychiatrist today...

basically I got told that my problems are all in my head and I should just suck it up because I don't really have a claim so I should just go find work and put it all behind me...

???

tomorrow I will be signing up for the health exchange assuming it goes off without a hitch I really hope that that will open up more avenues for mental health treatment. I've got records requests out for almost everything at this point so all I can do is wait for that to come in and get sorted through before I even think about approaching the VA.

I also broached the subject of a medical MJ card and got flat out told in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't give me one claiming it has harmful side effects yet proceeds to write me a prescription for an anti psychotic...wtf...

Longtooth, I have read all the post and also am service connected for PTSD which never wanted but now makes me understand a lot of how my life has been played out. My DX is associated with my service in Vietnam and then the 9/11 terror attack.

I have a couple of question for you though, what do you believe caused your PTSD? Sorry if putting it so blunt bothers you but you do have to believe it was your service and something that happened to you on almost any kind of disability.

in other words to be SC for DB2 you have to have the disease and have served mostly boots on ground in Vietnam. But almost anything that happened while you were in service especially something like mental illness will have a track record in your SMR's, unless of course your records were lost but that is a whole different ball game.

I hope you get your life in order the way that you want, you sound like a nice person.

Stillhere

I don't mind talking about it at all, which is a very recent thing for me. To be blunt it was a series of incidents involving my section chief over a period of time which culminated in an episodic break because I couldn't take it anymore and my CoC was firmly against any relief until after I went awol the first time. Prior to going awol I was told by my section chief in person that "If I couldn't tell him what was wrong with me then I couldn't go get help".

What was wrong with me was the fact that I was waiting for us to have to go to the range for qualification there I was planning to shoot both him and myself.

Prior to involvement with this person in authority over me I was pretty good at what I did which was field artillery I drove Paladins. I was going to be a career man finally doing something with my life that mattered.

Anyways a long story short within 18months of being discharged, OTH with Personality Disorder, I lost my marriage and my relationship with my son ended up on a 72hr psychiatric hold got hooked on heroin, clean for 11 or so years now I honestly don't keep track, and went to prison for almost a year trying to steal to support my habit.

My heads been spinning for so long now it feels like that's all I know. I'm never stable enough to get well. I job hop a lot because I can't get along with other people or because I feel the boss is screwing me so xxxx him. So since I job hop so often I'm usually in some phase of transit. If you've ever heard the song Ramblin Man it's a nice enough song the experience of growing up your entire life in different states is less so. You tend to fall through quite a few cracks.

I can't wait to get my life in order, assuming it's a type of order that I can deal with. I feel like an old soul stretched to thin.

Jason

"so I went and saw a new psychiatrist today...

basically I got told that my problems are all in my head and I should just suck it up because I don't really have a claim so I should just go find work and put it all behind me...

???"

A psychiatrist telling you all your problems are in your head???

Edited by free_spirit_etc

"Anyways a long story short within 18months of being discharged, OTH with Personality Disorder, I lost my marriage and my relationship with my son ended up on a 72hr psychiatric hold got hooked on heroin, clean for 11 or so years now I honestly don't keep track, and went to prison for almost a year trying to steal to support my habit."

LongTooth,

Can you get statements from family members about the change in your behavior and when they noticed the change?

Possibly a statement from your ex-wife?