Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Test Your Guessing Skills

Rate this question

doubleD

Question

1st attempt...I filed my claim Oct 2012. I had my c and p on Sept 20th. I had to see 3 Doctors. First one was a medical doctor, second was mental health and third was Audiology. I don't remember much of the exams, medical doctor asked questions and check reflexes and range of motion. Mental health doctor got to listen to me cry the entire time (couldn't stop it) asked me to do memory test repeating 5 words, counting backwards by 7 and saying as many words that started with "F" as I could. I took my service dog in with me. After the exam was done she chased me down the hall to find out what tasks he performed. She wanted to know if it was for mental health...Of course he is:)

The medical doctor told me at the end of the exam that the VA had mandatory overtime to complete claims and that I should hear something by the end of the month? She also told me I could get copies of the C and P from Records Release by the end of the day. I didn't stick around and just signed to get the results mailed to me. Here is a list of my claims and a short version of my answers...

panic attacks ~ near constant

migraines ~ 3 or more wk

hysterectomy ~ didn't ask doctor why and doctor didn't tell me, but still have ovaries

tinnitus ~ enemy didn't provide hearing protection during the war

DDD (cervial and thoracic) from carrying my ruck sacks and gear that weighted 2x me

malabsorption ~ constant diarrhea since combat

depression~ caused by panic attacks and unknown number of people affected by my decisions

PTSD~ it never goes away. And yes I hate the 4th of July because of the fireworks

hearing loss ~ I am supposed to wear hearing aids but refuse:)

fibromyalgia ~ constant dull pain all over muscle and joints hurt and muscles twitch all over

Exposure to environmental hazards depleted uranium, asbestos, burn pits, poop ponds, dust sand and whatever else was left to float in the air.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't wear them because they feel funny in my ear which causes itching NOT because I care what people think! . Next time I go to war I will be sure to ask the enemy to wait so I can put in my hearing protection.

OK, I'll give you credit for not caring what others think!! They do take a little while to get used to, but if you can't get used to them you may want to try a different ear piece. Check w/the hearing aid people, as they make a few different models.

If the enemy will wait that would be good, too!! ;-)

pr

I have a male standard poodle. I couldn't ask for a better dog...Love him! Although my husband will tend to disagree with me because the dog is obsessed with sleeping by my head....husband wakes up with the dogs ass in his face:)

My wife has a cat that feels the same compulsion to sleep face to face with her. The cat gets so happy he wags his furry little tail back and forth! My CPAP mask does provide some assistance as a well aimed blast of air from its vents towards the feline's vulnerable six O'clock will elicit an immediate clamp down of the tail and a very inquisitive and disturbed look backwards from the offending feline!

• HadIt.com Elder

My Golden likes to share head pillows but somehow manages to stay out of way. My recommendation to you about panic attacks is you can learn tools to make them less and not as severe. I learned more using Internet Chat from people who had them like me.

If you are unable to work my guess is that you will get 100% either TDIU or straight. Don't be surprised if you first get a partial award the VA does that all the time.

Good Luck.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I have done tons of research on the internet and haven't found anything that helps with my panic. Of course, I have been going to a VA Doctors... so maybe if I can get the disability rating... I will be able to afford going to a real doctor.

Sure, I will venture a guess, except that, according to the posts, the critical thing was missing: A nexus. NO nexus, no service connection. If your medical records do have something similar to "the Veterans xxx condition is at least as likely as not due to yyy from military service", then you will have a good chance at service connection. If not, your chances drop to near zero.

I agree mostly with the others. The ratings for hearing loss are rather complex, and are based on the average loss (coupled with speech discrimination), which you did not post. Its hard to guess what the hearing loss rating will be, if service connected (see above), when we dont know your average loss.

If you want a "good" guess, then you need to post the nexus, the average loss, and speech discrimination scores, as well as your GAF scores.

Absent those, I will "guess" you have the required nexus, and further guess your hearing loss to be moderate or less, and rated at 0%, since it takes a severe hearing loss to be rated at 10% or more, unless you have very poor speech discrimination.

You also did not post if you are substantially gainfully employed. This makes a much difference in your rating. After all, sc compensation is supposed to compensate the average earning ability, and it would be a hard sell if you are earning big bucks.

My VARO LOVES to lowball, so I will speculate a PTSD depression rating at 50%. I will further speculate tinnitus of 10%. This is a purely speculative guess by filling in blanks that the VA wont allow to be not filled in.