Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Extend My 911 Educational Benefits

Rate this question

yelloownumber5

Question

I retired Dec 2003, I think we have 15 or 17 years to use the post 911 educational benefits.

How do I get an extension for this, is there a standard time period they will extend them from?

I have seen a neurophysi in the past but do you need some kind of medical documentation.

I do not think I will be able to use them and would like to pass them on to our young daughter.

Thanks,

Y#5

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I retired Dec 2003, I think we have 15 or 17 years to use the post 911 educational benefits.

How do I get an extension for this, is there a standard time period they will extend them for?

I have seen a neurophysi in the past but do you need some kind of medical documentation.

I do not think I will be able to use them and would like to pass them on to our young daughter.

Thanks,

Y#5

Unfortunately, if you retired from the Military you will not be able to transfer your Post 9-11 GI benefits to your daughter.

The transfer should have been done prior to you retiring. And as for the time limit you must use or lose them is now 17 years from your retirement date, and there is no wavier for an extension of benefits.

You either use the benefit or lose it. I am telling you this with certainly, because, I have been through this road myself. Sorry I didn't give you better news.

Aggie

Aggie,

Thanks for the information, I did not know that.

I guess I shall look at school again, I do not believe I can do it but I need to find out now.

Maybe i can fit into an online school.

Thanks,

Y#5

Edited by yelloownumber5

yelloownumber5, I am currently using my benefits and have been using them for almost three years now. Remember, you qualify for 36 months at 100% under these benefits.

What that means is a monthly payment of $2293.00 a month to you for attending at a 12 unit or more per semester , or at least it is for me because I live in California.

Now, if you decide to take an on-line class you will get 0$ paid to you. The VA will pay the school, but, not you.

You sacrificed a lot by serving our Country and you earned these benefits, so don't throw this money away, i'm talking $2293.00 a month, is a lot of cash.

All it takes is you going to school 3 days a week for a couple of hours a day. Take advantage of this my brother and don't let it go to waste.

As for me, I am blind from one eye, and I have a lot of other medical issues, but, I'm am taking a Criminal Justice course, and I just love all the knowledge that I am getting, most likely I

will never work in Law Enforcement , but, I will not lose the benefits that i earned for all the years I served to protect my Country.

Good Luck.

Aggie

Good questions and these links should help you:

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/post911_changes.html

http://www.military.com/media/education/pdf/post911_gibill.pdf

(This pdf has extension infgo and Military.com web site has more info in their forums there:)

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/transfer_of_benefits.html

This explains how the GI bill can be transferred to dependents.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.