Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied?

Rate this question

eric_christensen

Question

Hello, I have a problem with a claim I opened up a while back. First off, I've been approved for my very first claim, the one I opened right before I was medically discharged. Then all the doctors, psychologists, VSO officers started telling me I should open a claim for another condition, or at least get help for it. So I did, and it didn't go very well (lets just say the psychologist over in the VA was everything other than helpful and caring). To make this short, they denied my claim. One of the reasons was that I wasn't showing up to my appointments in California. The problem was, I don't live in California. I currently live in Arizona (was supposed to be temporary (9 months) until they wanted to hire me on in December for 6 more months). I told them that and every single time I receive a voicemail, call, or a letter stating that I have an appointment, I ALWAYS call them back and tell them that I'm not in California anymore and there's no way that I can get into the hospital for that appointment. I even called the VA 1800 number and told them to change it and to have it on record that I'm not in Arizona. The thing that really confuses me is that they scheduled me over in California for a evaluation/appointment with a private doctor, and when I called to tell them that they need to schedule one over here, they told me it was okay and they'll find one for me here. Now the problem is, I never received that call for a reschedule (even though it wasn't very long ago, perhaps a week or so). And I just got a letter stating that I've been denied (I really can care less about money, I just REALLY want it on record that what I've gone through, and am going through, is related from when I was in the military).

I've been trying to call them and tell them that I told them I'm not in California anymore and that if they want appointments, they need to schedule them over here; but I have been unable to get a hold of them apparently from the high volumes of calls...sigh.

Another reason they told me I was denied was because of the lack of evidence that was recorded while in the military and even when I was out of the military. Well yea, the first psychologist I went to in the military was a civilian contractor and she actually had the audacity to blame what I was going through, on VIDEO GAMES (umm wtf? I BARELY even played video games, let alone anything that remotely had resemblance to what I was going through, anyways, video games?????). The second one wasn't interested or have experience in what I was going through, and the Chaplin would never call me back or answer the phone to help out.

I don't understand how they can say they're going to call and give me an appointment, and then don't and deny my case. I live and work in Flagstaff, and since there's no VA hospital here, I would have to drive 100+ miles to Phoenix's VA and get an appointment there. I currently work mon-fri for a typical 8 hours, and where I live/work, I don't have cell service. It's a huge pain and I feel they don't fully understand where I'm at, or care about it.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to register for VA care in Arizona. Missing these exams are disaster.

You should get an Independant medical opinion. Appeal the denial. Get an IMO and get it to the BVA.

A DRO will not do you any good at this point.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

I live AZ as well. There is a VA clinic in Flagstaff and Prescott and cottonwood. Most of the VSO organizations like DAV etc do travel to outlying areas to advise and help veterans. I would suggest you goggle from work ( ask your boss ) for VA services in AZ and maybe you can connect that way. Some even do Saturdays now. Good luck.also , contact the DAV and others and maybe connect with when they are in town or close by.

Good luck JC

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to be active in pursuing your claim. I know writing is a pain but "if it can't be read it wasn't said." Calling doesn't do a lot of good. Email would be better. Like basser said, you need to register in AZ. As jcolwell stated, there are clinics, called CBOC's or community based outreach clinics, all over and I'm sure there's one closer to you. VA will also pay for medical care at some private doctors, with prior approval. VA also pays travel pay. jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

You need to buy some envelopes, pick up some certified mail return receipt requested forms from the US post office and start communicating with the VA in writting. You have no proof the phone calls were made, and the VA will exploit that. Do you have cell phone records of these calls and a copy of a lease or rent receipts to prove you moved to Arizona? When talking to the VA on the phone you need to keep in mind that anything you ask for or indicate to the person on the other end of the phone is subject to their interpretation and will only be recorded if they fill out a report or update the record. You also have to remember the moment you hang up with them it is very probable that their phone immediately starts ringing again.

• HadIt.com Elder

You can have a clear and fantastic claim, but if you miss a C&P exam you are dead. Both me and a buddy here in Florida missed exams due to the VA cancelling the exams. I was then almost immediately denied for missing.....the exam. That took another few months to get an exam and delayed my reconsidered decision by 6 months. Be very, very sure the VBA and VA health system knows where you are and has valid phone for you. VAMC even wrongly changed my address due to screw up and I did not get my drugs from VA pharmacy. You have to keep your eyes on these guys.

John