VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

22 Year Old Troubles Finally Diagnosed, What Next.

Rate this question

James123

Question

I got out in 91 with an honorable discharge.

Through out my 8 year military service i had issues with my arms and legs going numb and tingling. I have copies of my old military records as well. I filed for upper and lower back issues because what else could it be??! was my thinking.

I initially did my C&P in Madison Wi where they did a full body MRI and found signs of MS.They did scans and spinal taps every 6 months to monitor for changes. In the mean time i was awarded 10% upper and 10% lower back compensations due to the tingling in my extremities. I moved to Philadelphia where miraculously they found no signs of what the VA hospital in Wisconsin was monitoring so the monitoring stopped for ohh 18 years or so. This year after a massive episode where half my body literally lost all feeling, the VA Hospital in Texas did MRI's and seen exactly what the VA hospital in Wisconsin was Plus more.

They have Diagnosed me with MS. My VA Neurologist said you showed documented signs of it in your C&P exams in 91 so it is service connected and that its should raise me to 100% SC.

My question is will i get back pay to 91 at 100% if they award it?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I believe that one of the problems you are having is the lack of the diagnosis early on. A lot of symptoms, but with symptoms you need a diagnosis. I'm sure you are aware of the several tests that are conducted to warrant a diagnosis. I would suggest obtaining an IMO from a doc that specializes in the MS field. Have the doc review all your records, mri's etc. Then if the doc believes that you had MS from day 1, it has got to be a strong IMO that is written. He needs to state the diagnosis, when he would of diagnosed you with it and how and why he came to those conclusions, and annotate if there was any case studies that was reviewed and assisted him on making the diagnosis.

A veteran visited me about a year or so ago, he received a letter from VA that stated they were proposing to reduce his benefits and diagnosis. His initial award was for MS and he was awarded 100%. Now not only did the VA want to reduce his % but take away the diagnosis. Now, the VA had brought him in for a series of tests prior to him receiving the letter. They said he had some type of nerve condition but it didn't warrant the MS diagnosis. (I'm paraphrasing here, been a long time since I read his letter).

After reviewing his rating decisions and going over his nerve studies, I simply closed the file and looked at the veteran and told him that he had nothing to worry about. The VA can not do what they are proposing. His award was 20 years and 2 months. I told him unless the VA can prove fraud existed in the decision your clear. naturally, he was skeptic but relieved. I submitted a VA FM 21-4138 added the dates of the rating decisions and quoted the 20 year rule. Every time he comes to the hospital, he always stops by to say hi..

I agree with getting an IMO to A. Put your mind at ease and get a very good grasp as to what what is going on with your body and also a proper CX!

B. In 2005 something as simply as heart disease was looked at by the VA and by only doing a EKG and then Electrocardiogram I was deemed fit as anyone my age. 2 Months latter I had a heart attack and by not going to ER because I thought it was only indigestion or gas, I ended up with almost dying and now have permanently damaged my heart by 40%! The VA still fought me for my DX of heart disease and only covered me back to the date of my heart attack!

I do not go to the VA for my cardio care now at all!! Just for my meds. Give the VA the chance and I feel they will kill you!

Stillhere

That is a wonderful outcome for that veteran Meg.

Thank you for helping him (and I am sure glad he found You to help him!)

“As far as what i claimed , i am not a Dr i claimed best guess, i had numbing and tingling in my arms and legs, i figured had to be upper and lower back, and that they gave. so i don't know if i have a chance at back pay or not but clearly its SC at any rate, well in my eyes anyway. “

My point was that when VA SCed that condition, they used the wrong diagnostic codes ,if the evidence can prove this was a manifestation of MS.

Best thing to do is wait for the VA decision on the recent claim.

If you ,as Meg suggest, and obtain an IMO,please consider Dr. Craig C Bash.

I developed the IMO format I posted here long ago in our IMO forum by using 2 IMOs I had obtained from him.The first IMO was perfect but VA ignored it and got another C & P exam against the claim,.

The second IMO knocked down their second C & P.

I had a brief freeby IMO from a Neuro as well.

For that specific claim, I had no diagnosis at all in the veterans medical records ,no treatment because no diagnosis, and and no rating,in any past rating sheet for the disability I claimed he had. The veteran had never claimed DMII, and the veteran ,(my husband), was dead.

I prepared a detailed cover letter for Dr. Bash, a step by step chronology of how the VA filed to properly diagnose the DMII and treat it, (not a 1151 claim however) and sent Dr. Bash all med recs, tabbed as to specific entries, blood work results, MRI etc etc...and he prepared the IMOs.

Awarded at the BVA.....DMII due to AO contributing to death. (The VARO ignored the IMOs for 4 or 5 years.I would handle something like that far differently these days.

)

VA couldn't rate the DMII because they had not diagnosed it in the veterans lifetime and there was no retro, but VA had to refund a high 5 figure FTCA offset to me due to this award.

My former vet reps said this claim didn't have a chance.

NOTHING is impossible with the VA if one is willing to do the work it takes and to get an IMO if they need one.(and not listen to negativity from anyone who doesn't know their stuff....like the vet reps I had.)

Not only is Dr. Bash a former VA doctor (NeuroRadiologist) and veteran, but he himself has MS.

We have many SVR shows with Dr. Bash here in our SVR archives:

http://www.hadit.com/svr.html

His website is:

http://www.veteransmedadvisor.com/list.html

Under some of the BVA wins ,there is a MS claim # 21 he won at the BVA.

Edited by Berta

I am already 10% knees 10% hips 10% upper back 10% lower back 10% ears for a total of 40% SCD. I have not even started the claim process on the MS that's how new it is, My biggest concern is if it gets worse. According the the documentation on the VA official website, here is what they say.

If you are a Veteran with MS what benefits are you eligible for with the VA?

If you had symptoms of MS in the military or within seven years after honorable discharge, you may be eligible for service-connected disability, including medical care, medications and equipment. However, eligibility for care at a VA facility is NOT contingent on a determination for service connected disability. Rather, the eligibility is based on processing of an application for medical benefits (VA Form 1010EZ). To determine your eligibility for service connected and nonservice connected benefits you need to apply for health benefits. There are several ways for you to enroll. You can enroll in person at any VA medical center or you can go online and complete an Application for Health Benefits (e.g. Form 10-10EZ or Means Test) to expedite the process at https://www.1010ez.med.va.gov/sec/vha/1010ez/

The VA does not state anything about being diagnosed or 10%.It says symptoms of MS, but it also says MAY. So its a catch 22.

http://www4.va.gov/MS/articles/Health_Care_Benefits_for_Veterans_with_Multiple_Sclerosis.asp

I it will defiantly maybe be rated as a SC. I might even be able or not to receive back pay or have my benefits increased or reduced. So as all things .. its as clear as mud. (This entire line was a joke not an anger issue lol)

Thanks for all your feedback folks.

James

Edited by James123

I am wondering (but I am not a doctor) if these were symptoms of MS but diagnosed on something else to do with your service.

"I am already 10% knees 10% hips 10% upper back 10% lower back"

What was the inservice etiology for those SCs?

I had no explanation as to why i had numbing in the body parts, but my medical history (military records) showed i had episodes of numbing and tingling issues dating back to 1987. I claimed upper and lower back because thats all i could figure it was and predominantly the left side the same side i lost all feeling too in June..The knees well they are just tore up as are the hips, hearing is from 50 cal gun fire i likely have loss of hearing some what too (my wife calls it selective hearing, i hear what i want to hear) but never claimed it never got it.

Edited by James123