Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Pay

Rate this question

chiefhouse00

Question

Greetings

I'm sure this question has been ask before. How long will it take to receive retro pay? Some say 3 months or more. My claim (80 to 90% effective 2008) was approved 5 Oct 2013 and DFAS audit completed 17 Nov 2013. Thanks

Best Regards

Chiefhouse

Edited by chiefhouse00

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yeah, they're running a little behind on mine, too. I've been waiting since April Fool's Day of 1994. Bill Clinton was president then.

Makes me put things in proper perspective when I see others who have waited longer than me. In your case...a lot longer. Very sorry anyone has to be put through this but In the big picture of life there is still much to be thankful for. I want to aploogize to all my brothers and sisters out there for what some might consider an "attitude of entitlement" 'cause that's not who I am or how I was taught. I will continue to try to seek the opinions & ideas of everyone and will do my best to remain positive. Life's not fair but it's how one faces adversity that gets remembered...I always learn something valuable when I come to HadIt and today is no exception!

LC

Greetings All

I just received my VA Inquiry regarding my RETRO pay status. The email stated the following: This is in response to your inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) dated December 10, 2013.

For the service you have performed for our country, we are grateful, thank you for your sacrifice.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. We are currently experiencing a large volume of inquiries and are working as quickly as possible to respond to each in a timely manner.

Unfortunately, no retroactive payment has been submitted for you at this time.

Eligibility for retroactive payments is not always guaranteed. The decision is made on if you are eligible for a retroactive payment, and how much you are entitled to will be determined by your Regional Office. This is generally the first day of the month following the date the claim was filed. Eligibility of a retroactive payment cannot be determined until you’re Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) process is complete.

The Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) is a program that went into effect January 1, 2004, and is available to military retirees who served a minimum of 20 years creditable service, including service in the National Guard and Reserves. National Guardsmen and Reservists must be at least 60 years old. CRDP restores some or all the military retirement pay that was deducted due to receipt of VA service-connected disability compensation. Retirees must be rated 50 percent or more disabled by VA. It is important to note, retirees are not required to apply for this benefit, as enrollment is automatic. Please find additional information below.

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) handle the processing of these cases, which are being worked in the order of oldest to newest. Currently, DFAS is reviewing retirees’ records to identify records with possible payments due. When they identify a record that meets the criteria for possible payment, they issue an Audit Error Worksheet (AEW) to VA, who will then review the AEW and the Veterans claims folder to determine if payment is due. If payment is due, VA will send the payment and a letter with the breakdown of payment. If the Veteran is not due a payment, VA will issue a notice explaining why the Veteran is not entitled. The Veteran does not have to submit anything for this process.

At this time, we do not have a specific time in which each case will be completed, as there are many cases currently in process. We apologize.

For additional information about CRDP, please visit http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crdp.html, or contact the Retired and Annuity Pay Contact Center at 1-800-321-1080.

Your Audit Error Worksheet was received on November 19, 2013, from DFAS.

Your CRDP is currently in the Development Phase of processing. This phase is where we gather all the evidence we need in order to make a decision on your CRDP. We will review your claim and inform you of any additional information that is needed.

We apologize for the length of time it is taking to process your CRDP; however, we are currently experiencing a backlog of CRDP’s and are working to get them decided as quickly as possible.

If your CRDP is approved, you will be paid retroactively to the date in which you became eligible for the benefit being claimed. Eligibility will be determined by your regional office. This is generally the first day of the month following the date the claim was filed.

If there is a decision in your favor, you will be paid retroactively to the date you became entitled to benefits based on the claim being processed. You will receive notification via U.S. mail once your CRDP has been finalized. Your notification letter will explain our decision of a grant or denial in detail and the start date for benefits.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have questions or need additional help with the information in our reply, please respond to this message or see our other contact information below.

Sincerely yours,

Best Regards

Chiefhousr

Edited by chiefhouse00

Sounds like a ton of "excuses" and "passing the buck" to me. My error audit worksheet was sent to my RO on October 19, 2012 and has sat there at the Winston Salem VARO with no action. Last week, I found out the claim was given to the Nashville VARO so maybe the end is near. DFAS confirmed the VA owes me over 25k so if the check ever hits the bank...drinks are on me!

Stay on them Chiefhouse00 and don't get discouraged. Sucks we have to jump through hoops just to get someone to do their job but such is life I guess. I'll be praying you get what you earned too.

LC

Just received a "new" IRIS reply quite similar to yours. Here was my reply:

"Below you indicate having received the AEW from DFAS on October 17, 2012. The evidence shows the VA owes me in excess of 25k. This is money that could have been in my bank account collecting interest. As of today, I have been patiently waiting 429 days for the VA to act on the AEW and last week it came to my attention that my claim was sent from the Winston Salem VARO to the Nashville VARO who now has temporary jurisdiction of it. Are you telling me I now go to the bottom of the list at Nashville? Can you contact the Nashville RO directly and inform them I've been waiting FOUR HUNDRED AND TWENTY NINE DAYS please?

Thank you."

Amazing...close to 1,000 days from the initial filing of the claim! I am determined to live long enough to see it through. Every time they answer my IRIS, they give me 14 days to respond...I can play this game until they get sick of me and take action.

LC

My CRSC was approved in Aug 2012 and Audit worksheet was sent to VA in Nov 2012 dating back to Aug 2010. I'm still waiting after having DFAS transmit it again in Oct 2013 because VA stated they did not receive it. I also had DFAS mail me a copy of the Audit Worksheet and the VA will not accept it, either by email or regular mail. They must get it from DFAS.

The answer you got from IRIS is the same answer that chiefhouse has gotten, also me and I am sure many others. They don't have my Audit, so they say, so I sent them a copy that I got from DFAS and they won't process it. I guess, you wait and wait and they do nothing. The same thing for my Dependent Claim. I have no faith that I will ever get approval to either claim. Both of those two claims are, just push a button and the computer should take it over and process them.

My CRSC was approved in Aug 2012 and Audit worksheet was sent to VA in Nov 2012 dating back to Aug 2010. I'm still waiting after having DFAS transmit it again in Oct 2013 because VA stated they did not receive it. I also had DFAS mail me a copy of the Audit Worksheet and the VA will not accept it, either by email or regular mail. They must get it from DFAS.

Yeah, I saw that you did that (request copy of DFAS audit) in one of your posts...That was very smart and I intend on doing that as well. One thing their last IRIS reply did do is that they actually stated in the IRIS that they did, in fact, receive it on October 17th of 2012...THAT much they admit. So at least I don't have to worry about having to have it re-sent.

What a clusteryouknowwhat! But, as the old saying goes..."ya gotta believe!"

LC