Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Pay

Rate this question

chiefhouse00

Question

Greetings

I'm sure this question has been ask before. How long will it take to receive retro pay? Some say 3 months or more. My claim (80 to 90% effective 2008) was approved 5 Oct 2013 and DFAS audit completed 17 Nov 2013. Thanks

Best Regards

Chiefhouse

Edited by chiefhouse00

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I spoke with DFAS this morning concerning a veteran that I am assisting. I was told that once DFAS receives notification from VA that an audit needs to be completed, this process can take up to 90 days. Many times, it is done quicker than that. Once the audit is completed it is sent back to the agency that requested then it becomes that agencies responsibility to make the payout.

As I said before, many VARO's have an individual doing this as an additional duty. So, the bottom line is this, no one can tell you when you will actually receive your money.

In your case, like I recommended before, I would solicit the assistance of your elected official.

Don't want to hi-jack your thread but I made a call to DFAS this week to inquire IF they completed their audit for my retired pay adjustment?...Answer:YES, on Sept 28, 2012. Next question...When was the audit sent to the VA?...Answer: Oct 19, 2012 !!

Today's date is Dec 12, 2013 last time I checked...Do the math and it's coming up on 14 MONTHS! DFAS said the VA owes me upwards of 25k but I'll believe it when I see it...and there is't a damn thing I can do is wait. Meanwhile, the whole time it has simply been displayed in eBenefits as "CLAIM RECEIVED"...If I had that kind of $$ in a bank earning intrest, anyone want to guess how much I'd have now?

Wait...don't answer that 'cause I'd probably start cryin!!!! Just sayin' what's allready been said...but nobody listens at the VA...FIX THE BACKLOG PLEASE!

LC (a very frustrated LC)

Great question which I have not gotten an answer from anyone on how long it takes.

My CRSC was approved in Aug 2012 and Audit worksheet was sent to VA in Nov 2012 dating back to Aug 2010. I'm still waiting after having DFAS transmit it again in Oct 2013 because VA stated they did not receive it. I also had DFAS mail me a copy of the Audit Worksheet and the VA will not accept it, either by email or regular mail. They must get it from DFAS. I also contacted my Congressman and My Senator in Feb 2013 and have not gotten any help from them. I really feel no one cares. Sure they say, thanks for your service and then do nothing to help. I have the same issue with my Dependent claim and can't seem to get any help on that subject. I have contacted the VA by phone, IRIS, local VSO and have not gotten any help on either issue. I feel that DFAS has done their job properly.

I feel if you have an insider or know the right people you will get help but if not, no one cares. I guess another to get help would be to hire a Lawyer but you would have to give up a lot of your funds. GOOD LUCK.

I spoke with DFAS this morning concerning a veteran that I am assisting. I was told that once DFAS receives notification from VA that an audit needs to be completed, this process can take up to 90 days. Many times, it is done quicker than that. Once the audit is completed it is sent back to the agency that requested then it becomes that agencies responsibility to make the payout.

As I said before, many VARO's have an individual doing this as an additional duty. So, the bottom line is this, no one can tell you when you will actually receive your money.

In your case, like I recommended before, I would solicit the assistance of your elected official.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the efforts you made...awesome :smile: ! I will consider my next move carefully.

I also had DFAS mail me a copy of the Audit Worksheet and the VA will not accept it, either by email or regular mail. They must get it from DFAS.

Like you, I also believe DFAS has done their job. I will call them again next week and get a copy of the audit just for my own records...Might have them re-send one to VARO as well for good measure. Thanks Kray! Hope we both get good news someday soon!

LC

Here' what my iris response says. It arrived today...

"Your claims are all pending review. They are considered Non-Rating claims which this Regional Office currently has over 38,000 to process with a handful of personnel. We apologize for the delay. Please continue to monitor your Ebenefits account for future updates."

So...anyone going through the Winston-Salem, NC VARO can expect to wait a very, very long time according to them.

LC

Yeah, they're running a little behind on mine, too. I've been waiting since April Fool's Day of 1994. Bill Clinton was president then. Hope yours gets some attention before Christmas. An interesting concept- both parties in Congress are so dysfunctional there is no clear voice speaking to the VA for intervention. VA perceives this and now feels no pressure from an inquiry whereas before it was akin to a Writ of Mandamus from above. Great. Just what we need-indifference and inaction at a time when the need for action is greatest and delay grows daily in spite of the promises.