Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus?

Rate this question

Warone

Question

Hi, my second post on this site. I'm wondering about tinnitus. I've told my military doctor about the ringing and he noted it on my medical paperwork, but do I have to be officially tested before I can successfully claim it and win?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

There is no test for tinnitus by itself. You should tell your doc at the VA that you have trouble understanding and hearing people. He will then request that you have an audiologist check your hearing. When you speak with the audiologist tell them about the ringing. They should ask you what you did in the military. Also, I would not tell them that since you have been taking the Wellbutrin that your tinnitus is louder because they will say that is the cause. If the audio test indicates a hearing loss then file a claim for it and you can get service connected for the tinnitus which will get you 10% max. Your hearing loss will be based on the results of the test. Getting any compensation for HL is very difficult. But if you do get 0% you will get hearing aids from the VA for free. They are expensive, so that is plus getting Sc'd. Good luck

recently, I've reviewed some claims that the veteran was denied tinnitus because there was no hearing loss. The VA states that the cause of tinnitus is hearing loss. I'm not sure, but I have started reviewing cases at the BVA concerning this issue..

thanks for the information. I can confirm that the VA is wrong, I don't have a significant hearing loss, but my tinnitus is screaming in my ears right now as I type this. I'll do some more research on it in some professional journals. Plus I know a senior Doc in the military. I'll talk to him after the new year. I'll post if what he tells me is something different.

Warone,

You may find this VA Fast Letter helpful. Read all 3 pages. Here's the link:

Seems to make this crystal clear...Good Luck!

LC

"I ADVISE & ENJOIN THOSE WHO DIRECT THIS WEBSITE IN THE TOMORROWS NEVER TO ADVOCATE ANY CAUSE FOR PERSONAL PROFIT OR PREFERMENT. I WOULD WISH IT ALWAYS TO BE 'THE TOCSIN' & TO DEVOTE ITSELF TO THE POLICIES OF EQUALITY & INJUSTICE TO THE UNDERPRIVILEGED.

IF THIS WEBSITE SHOULD AT ANYTIME BE THE VOICE OF SELF-INTEREST OR BECOME THE SPOKESMAN OF PRIVILEGE OR SELFISHNESS IT WOULD BE UNTRUE TO ITS HISTORY."

God Bless you all and Good Luck.

LOOSE CANNON

For Real Solutions For Positive Change Visit http://www.veteranwarriors1.com/index.html

The letter is very helpful, I seem to do okay on the annual hearing tests but can't understand what people are saying when there is any significant background noise, i.e.. bars, restaurants, meetings, rotor blades, .

thanks Loose Cannon.