Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Two Questions

Rate this question

BUZZ

Question

I talk to a guy,who just got into the va health system and he said that he is going to get free hearing aids and glasses from the va.He said he does not get any disability fro the va.I thought you had to be at 20% dsability rating to get that.Also,can someone tell me who to contact (phone number) to make reservations to stay at a military post in Alaska,planning to go to Kodiak island,anchorage and Fairbanks Alaska.I am 100% pt and heard that I can pay a fee to stay at these bases.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

My husband does not receive a pension and had no ratings at all for anything or even a claim in for hearing at the time VA gave him the hearing aids. He now has 10% for hearing. A Vietnam vet. His mos is what "more than likely" caused his hearing impairment, heck that was years and years ago.

Buzz you might be able to get a free MAC flight too.

veterans that are 100% disabled are not allowed on MAC flights. Wrote a proposal to change the DOD regulation, was denied by the Secretary of Defense (Rumsfeld)

it has to do with the disability. A MAC flight is not equipped (logistical, medical or space needed) to handled disabled veterans. A 100% veteran may need oxygen, wheel chair, meds, or simply may need nothing. To let some fly and some not, its just easier to say no 100% disabled veterans on the MAC flights.

This link has numbers for military lodging:

http://www.military.com/Travel/Content1/0,,ML_summary,00.html

You can also look up rates and make reservations at some of the bases at:

http://www.dodlodging.net/

The base in Alaska is Elmendorf Air Force Base in Alaska. The rooms are not fancy, but cheap, and the base is beautiful. I used to go on Det there for 6 weeks at a time. I hate the cold, but I loved it there. Did some good fishing and enjoyed the great food at the base Galley.