Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wife Of Veteran Needs Advice - Memory Loss/ptsd

Rate this question

tom91

Question

I'm writing in regard to my husband's condition as I need advise as to how we should approach a new claim. He was awarded 50% rating for PTSD about 5 years ago. Over the past 2+ years, both his mental and physical health has continued to deterioriate. He has been on a regimen of strong meds for some time now, including oxycodone and ambien CR for sleeping. In the past year, we noticed that he was becoming very forgetful. VA tests confirmed he has memory loss and he goes once a week for some time of training to help him track things, such as appts, etc. The VA has not diagnosed him with dementia or altz. and has indicated it stems from his PTSD. We have another appointment with an outside neurologist in February to get a second opinion.

I feel we need to file a claim for increase but not sure what direction to do it. It seems it would be his PTSD rating but I don't know if memory loss is a condition that is rating separately and should be done secondary to his PTSD. Further, I can't help but believe the meds (particularly the ambien CR) has something to do with it. If that is the case, it too should be a secondary claim to both PTSD (sleeping meds) and lower lumbar (pain meds).

Really not sure how to approach this so any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

you wont find a diagnostic code for memory loss. It's a symptom of a mental health disability. If he is becoming worse, I would submit a claim for TDIU as previously stated and place the PTSD as the major disability that effects his performance.

You will need a letter from a doc stating that he can not work due to the PTSD. The doc can also use his other service connected disabilities as secondary conditions that exuberate the PTSD condition. I can tell you though, If he is currently working, the claim for TDIU will be denied.

If he doesn't want to quit his job, then just submit a claim for re-evaluation for his PTSD. It seems to me, based on what you stated above that this would probably be the better way to go...