Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security To Expedite Veteran Disability Claims

Rate this question

carlie

Question

"The Social Security Administration plans to streamline its review of disability claims for veterans starting next month, shaving weeks off the process by which it determines benefits, officials are set to announce Wednesday.

The Woodlawn-based agency says it will expedite claims for former service members who already have been deemed fully disabled by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, alleviating a bureaucratic nightmare for veterans who sometimes waited years to get a decision about their eligibility for benefits.

Carolyn W. Colvin, the acting commissioner of Social Security, is set to announce the policy change in Baltimore. The move would add disabled veterans to the list of high-priority groups — including service members wounded in combat — that are put at the head of the line for review."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-veterans-ssa-20140218,0,4303618.story#ixzz2tmpRkKPO

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Carlie,

Thanks for the great info. When I submitted my SSDI claim in November 2013, I put on there that I was a Disabled Veteran, was I suppose to put anything else on application to speed up process. I had my Mental and Physical Exams a few weeks ago, and no I am just waiting. Thanks again

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Carlie,

That sounds like an article from The Onion. Hopefully they will actually practice what they preach.

Navy04,

Carlie's post indicates this is for "former service members who already have been deemed fully disabled by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs", which typically means 100% P&T vets only. I noticed in your profile that you're at 80%, but hope your application meets a swift approval. I followed the link into the article and they go on to talk about how fully disabled veterans made up about 10% of all disabled veterans in 2012, but it also noted that many of them might already get social security disability.

Further down in the article they clarify:

"Under the new policy, applicants who have been deemed 100 percent disabled by the VA are to be put on a "fast track" at virtually every step of the process."

Let's hope that's just 100% schedular...

Edited by Vync

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Vync,

Thanks for the info. Going by my recent C&P exam reports, it looks like I will be 100% in the next few months.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Good luck navy04.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Thanks for the kind words

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

I called my local SSA office in March when I saw the news. They weren't aware of new Reg to expedite veteran claims who are 100% P&T. I mailed my Award letter to local office and the ODAR where I was waiting for a hearing. It was expedited. Hearing held April 30th. Awaiting decision.