Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File Question?

Rate this question

jefmil50

Question

Anyone have an idea how long it takes to recieve a C-File, they recieved my request on Dec 17th 2013. I know it is probably way to early to expect it, just wondering if I can leave for several months or years and not have to worry about it! I am in the St. Petersburg Florida area. :ph34r:

USMC 79-85

100% P&T

SMC R1

70% loss of use of right arm due to multiple sclerosis

100% suprapubic cystostomy due to multiple sclerosis

100% loss of use of both lower extremities due to multiple sclerosis

30% left upper extremity weakness

30% insomnia with hypersomnolence

10% neurogenic bowel

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It can take quite awhile.

What worked for me was to make an appointment to see C-file at VARO and copied a few pages then. If you want a lot of pages copied they'll make you wait for the whole file but you may find a few key pages that can be useful now.

They have to determine if the C-file is at the VARO first because it travels like a hot potato to the C&P examiners elsewhere etc.

• HadIt.com Elder

It can take anywhere from 10 days to never. They are required to send it within 21 days(+ or -) but rarely do these days. It generally takes more like 3-4 months. One of my vets just received his from his December request, from the WRJ, VT, RO.

pr

they know that if your requesting your file, you have become a wise of ass, so they must ..... ' reconcile " your file before they sendeth.

why else would it take so long. Mt file was at WACO ro, and my now less employed service officer from DAV told me for 3 months straight, that the RO was not ready to release my file to him. He lied to me so much though, its hard to know if he even asked. He could have been sitting in his car smoking a Newport for all I know.

Update on my C-file, finally a box arrived with my file in it. I have alot of reading to go through.

USMC 79-85

100% P&T

SMC R1

70% loss of use of right arm due to multiple sclerosis

100% suprapubic cystostomy due to multiple sclerosis

100% loss of use of both lower extremities due to multiple sclerosis

30% left upper extremity weakness

30% insomnia with hypersomnolence

10% neurogenic bowel

Folks:

For me the movement of my disability claim came to a stop when I requested my CFile? Frankly, I never got to look at my CFile and my VSO never told me that it would stop the entire process by submiting a FOIA? It's really a "Catch 22" because you can't be assured that all of the evidence that you submitted in your file or not unless you verify that it's all there for yourself? But there's a chance your current claim may come to a halt until some time in the future when you actually receive a copy of your CFile? My concern was that I was not sure that my hard copy CFile was ever digitized properly? So, there's a risk that your case may halt and if that happens, it could take years to get your CFile? But, by law they are required to provide it within 20 business days. Saying the agency is busy is not a valid reason not to provide your file to you in a timely manner? Frankly, I was very disappointed at what had transpired with my situation? So, I took a risk and cancelled my CFile FOIA but once I did that, I finally got movement on my diabilty claim but I'm not sure until I get the final disposition on my claim and if I will eventually have an appeal because the evidence is missing from my CFile or not? That said, some RO's ge them done in a reasonable timeline and manner so once again it's based mainly on the "luck of the draw" and whom is handling that aspect of your claim.

Edited by rootbeer22