Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bva Appeal

Rate this question

mojo13

Question

I have a BVA appeal for IU and have just received a letter from Florida Department of Vet Affairs stating that my RO BVA hearing at local office before traveling Judge will take 18 too 24 months. I need some advice, should I get myself a Lawyer or is there any other way I can at least cut this hearing in half I have done all the work till now by myself but this is insane. I have provided to more piece of info which state from my social worker and PRRC center that I cannot work. Iam trying to get a IMO from my VA doctors Prime, psychiatric, psychologist and they have agreed to help me. This appeal also includes Sleep apnea, tinnitus, and vertigo. Any suggestion out there I sure would appreciate it.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I feel for you bud, either way. My brother waited 19 months to have his SSDI hearing, had it in Dec 13 and he still has not heard anything. I submitted my SSDI online in Nov 13, and got approved 2 weeks ago, in less than 4 months. The whole process sucks either way, but I don't think there is anything you can do to reduce the wait time. The only good side to this is, if your claim gets approved, that will be a boat load of Retro. God Bless and keep us posted

Most agree that a lawyer is unnecessary at the BVA level. Certainly, if you lose at the BVA, you will need an attorney to represent you at the CAVC.

The Board "(BVA)" EXPECTS Vets claims by pro se, or VSO respresentation. At the CAVC level, however, you dont want to take a knife to a gunfight by representing yourself.

There is much here on how to appeal a BVA claim. Its your money and your call, but Board judges are often not legal professionals anyway, and they dont expect you to be either.

Once you get to the CAVC, however, this is a new ball game. Get a lawyer, as many times most/all of your attorney fees will be paid by EAJA anyway.

As far as the hearing goes, you dont have to do a hearing. You can have em decide on what is written down. Im not sure whether its too late to cancel the hearing or not, or even if you should want to cancel it. If you come across well, then a hearing may be just for you. However, people like PTSD Vets should likely stay away from hearings, if possible, as PTSD Vets tend to tell judges to flake off.

I opted for a video teleconference which might cut the time for a traveling board in about half. I don't know if you have an option to ask for one now or go back to the end of the line. I did want a hearing though simply because I believe the RO are a bunch of FNG polecats and would "lose" my new evidence before It got in my C-file because they've done it before....Took about six months to get on TV. My hearing is next month.

Where is the backlog? Has anyone seen the backlog? Why there it is! right there in the appeals!!

Sign up for an FDC today and get a free autographed picture of undersec Allison Hickey.

Next traveling judge will be in St Pete April 7 too 11 and August date not yet made as per BVA. Cannot tell by my docket if I will be heard in April or August or they may pick me at random because of my appeal being one.