Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Request Advice On How To Proceed

Rate this question

Eomr

Question

22 Yr USAF Veteran, AFSC 42353,Fuel Systems Mech,; I have an ongoing disability claim for peripheral neuropathy, symptoms are getting worse but cannot get an accurate diagnosis from the VA has been over 9 years of appeals etc... would appreciate any advise on how to proceed. Thanks and God Bless!

Edited by Eomr

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

try to find an attorney who deals with va claims who also has doctors in thier network. They can refer you to a doctor that can give a diagnosis that fits you and also the goons at va can understand in compensation terms. The vamc will down play your ilnesses, they know it can lead to compensation and they are not trying to help you establish that in most cases. They are qiuck to throw medicine at you and tell you that you are the cause of your problems but slow to give you fitting diagnosis.

Is giving you good info, but really only you can decide what is best for you. I hate to see so many Veterans have to fight with the VA for years and years.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

I served in the AF from 1982-2004 and upon discharge several VA docs could not make a definitive diagnosis, one time they would call it Plantar Fasciitis then decide it was peripheral neuropathy but always the burden of proof fell upon me to prove. Frustrated I gave up after several years and was then contacted by a law firm in Rhode Island who said they work for Veterans felt I had a case and would take my case for free and settle with the VA if they won, they did and were compensated by the VA last year but the VA continues to drag their feet and are now sending me for re-evaluation for a condition of flatfoot which I've never complained of and know nothing about. My AFSC 42353 Fuel systems exposed me to multiple chemicals linked to causing peripheral neuropathy; mainly Jet fuel JP-4 & JP-8. There is documentation in my my medical records which proves I was exposed to and treated for overexposure to Jet fuel such as chemical burns and fuel saturation of feet etc... I do not have the funds to retain an attorney and don't quite know where to start all over. Sorry for the long explanation and greatly appreciate your patience advice but mostly your support; Thank You and God Bless You! Dan

Medical eval is tomorrow, had the EMG done in 2007, results did not indicate lack of nerve signal; I suffer from hypersensitivity, constant pain tingling and burning of both feet. Will adamantly restate my symptoms and related medical conditions to VA Doc at Fayetteville Ar. I currently have a service connected disability rating of 80 but the foot/feet condition is getting progressively worse. I am out of work and options but retain some small hope/belief (based on some of the stories I've read) that things will work out. Thanks again to each of you for your advice and support, God Bless each of you for your Military Service! Dan

Edited by Eomr

"I currently have a service connected disability rating of 80"

Are you service connected from diabetes?
Reason I ask is that this sounds like peripheral neuropathy secondary to the diabetes.

Or perhaps it is due to another SC you have now.

I suggest you apply for TDIU since you are not employed.

TDIU is paid at the 100% rate.

But I might be all wrong on asking about the diabetes....then again you said

"results did not indicate lack of nerve signal"

I am not a doctor but maybe even one of your SC meds could be causing this. Or the jet fuel exposures....

I am confused here:

"they did and were compensated by the VA last year "

What did they compensate you for?

"but the VA continues to drag their feet and are now sending me for re-evaluation for a condition of flatfoot which I've never complained of and know nothing about. "

"My AFSC 42353 Fuel systems exposed me to multiple chemicals linked to causing peripheral neuropathy; mainly Jet fuel JP-4 & JP-8. There is documentation in my my medical records which proves I was exposed to and treated for overexposure to Jet fuel such as chemical burns and fuel saturation of feet etc... I do not have the funds to retain an attorney and don't quite know where to start all over."

I had a chrionic backache for years. I was a livestock farmer and prior to that had many jobs were I was on my feet all day.

My backache completely disappeared when I was diagnosed with severe pronation and got fitted for custom orthos and braces.

I had no idea for decades, that I had flat feet from the pronation causing the backaches, and,if I were you, I feel this is a good thing.......

"are now sending me for re-evaluation for a condition of flatfoot which I've never complained of and know nothing about. "

This could give you an additional rating.......

but still I am confused....can you tell us exactly what you get the SC for now?

Dan, thanks for those thanks to us here ...I am a civilian, but mostly everyone else here is a vet.

I hope you update us soon on the med eval.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.