Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wats The Best Way To Handle This?

Rate this question

USCG CWO4

Question

I had a FDC in for Depression and Anxiety, most likely should have been for PTSD, but this is how it started with my shrink. I was seeing him for almost a year before I put anything in, thanks to everyone who convinced me. Here is my problem; I did an FDC becasue I didn't want to go through all of this over again. I am not gonna go thru everything but I have been hospitalized at the VA hospital, seen one of their shrinkd, etc. I just reciently had my knee replaced and they lumped it in with my FDC. Now I am scheduled for two C&P exams and I am terrified, I don't want to go over everthing again. It dosen't help me to keep repeating things. I don't want to think about things I just want to bury them. How do I do this? Should I try writing everything down and just reading it? Everytime I go to the VA I have a panic attack. Really not looking forward to this. Any suggestions? Thank you Bob

I don't have MH issues, but I understand the concept of burying it. I find it hard to describe my chronic pain in appointments because for years and years, the way I delt with it is to try my best to ignore it and keep pushing. I think we often do the same thing with emotional/cognative issues. Many of us were hard wired to be doo-ers even before basic training. basic training reinforced the concept of task/mission first pain, discomfort or your personal problems are things to be pushed aside because they interfear with the task at hand.

Finally after 14 months I got my new pain clinic consult. After waiting for 30 min past my appointment time I got to see a physchologist, who's obvious first mission was to determine if I was a pain med abuser (we got that out of the way real quick when I pointed out I am alergic to opiods). We then got to talk about my weight, which I pointed out it is kinda hard to to excercise with un-relosved chronic pain. We talked about my 3-4 drinks a week I have and established I am not an alchololic. He started to go for the weight control card and I headed him off at the pass and pointed out that My weight has been essentially steady for 4 years, and the fact I havent been able to diet effectively with uncontrolled chronic pain shouldn't be suprising (since people eat to feel good on occassion). He also suggested I use private insurance for physical therapy (it would be better) I pointed out it is a VA responsibility and I really cant afford the three to 400 in copays each month, he shurgged his sholders and indicated VA physical therapy wont fix my problem (so now hes an orthopedist?). So after 45 minutes of that BS (he had a shink in training with him) the real doctor came in and promptly diagnosed that the pain in my legs clearly is the result of the stenosis on my MRI and the reflex and clonus reaction proves it. They want another MRI of my lumbar spine that they refused to do when they did my T spine. I guess they thought they were saving money.

They could have saved some money by only having patients without imaged pathology see the pshychologist. Doing a complete MRI the First time instead of segment by segment would save money also, but now they will send me back for the lumbar segment. I pointed out my cervical spine is shot and 4 years ago they suggested it should be MRI'd but they dont want to do that, if or until they see what is on the lumbar scans.

But back to your problem, Others will suggest some coping strategies for you, but I would not suggest just reading your history and problems from a written synopsis. You are going to have to re- explain and they are going to make you go through this crud again. If its really tough on you, make sure you take someone with you to the exams, they may not let them in, but they will be there to help afterwards (you need someone watching out for you if this really messes you up).

Keep on - Keeping on!

I had 15 Exams last year, before the Navy Medically Retired me. Then last month I had 6 more exams for my FDC increase that I submitted in Sep 13. I was very nervous, but the exams went very well except for one Doc. By the look of the C&P reports, I should be 100% very soon. Just go in there be Honest, and everything will be ok bud. Good luck and keep us posted

So I had my C&P exam yesterday. I think it went very well. The Doctor was very nice. The first thing she said was that they have a ton of documentation and that she was just trying to determine how much it effects my life. I was still soaked with sweat by the time we were done, but I made it through. She does want me to start seeing a doctor at the VA and had me do a PTSD assesment. She thinks I need to start dealing with one problem or the other (depression or PTSD) but that both of them at once are too much for me at the moment. I just want to say again that she was very compassionate and understanding and professional. The VA hospital in Lebanon has been very good to me!