Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wats The Best Way To Handle This?

Rate this question

USCG CWO4

Question

I had a FDC in for Depression and Anxiety, most likely should have been for PTSD, but this is how it started with my shrink. I was seeing him for almost a year before I put anything in, thanks to everyone who convinced me. Here is my problem; I did an FDC becasue I didn't want to go through all of this over again. I am not gonna go thru everything but I have been hospitalized at the VA hospital, seen one of their shrinkd, etc. I just reciently had my knee replaced and they lumped it in with my FDC. Now I am scheduled for two C&P exams and I am terrified, I don't want to go over everthing again. It dosen't help me to keep repeating things. I don't want to think about things I just want to bury them. How do I do this? Should I try writing everything down and just reading it? Everytime I go to the VA I have a panic attack. Really not looking forward to this. Any suggestions? Thank you Bob

So I just read my C&P exam. She definatly says everything was caused by the Military. The only thing I see is that she Diagnosed me with PTSD which caused the depression, etc. So is that gonna screw up my claim since I put in for depression and not PTSD? She really wrote up a very nice and accurate report. I did notice that there was no GAF score in the exam report. She checked the box marked :

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and

productivity

So am I gonna have to resubmit?

• HadIt.com Elder

NO, it won't screw anything up since depression is part of PTSD. PTSD is an anxiety disorder with depression as often secondary symptom. Substance abuse is also frequently secondary. I would say you hit a homerun. She must have accepted your stressor. I went to a C&P exam with a dx of schizophrenia and came out with a bipolar dx. Hey, I got an increase. As long as the exam doctor says your MH issues are service connected that is the ball game except for the percentage of disability. Now the VARO has the final say on the rating. One of my best friends in Nam got 30% for PTSD. He filed a couple of years ago. I am pretty sure if he appeals he will get 70% since he is on SSD. I filed 40 years ago and I got a DX of schizophrenia(10%) and a personality disorder. Things have changed a lot in these decades.

My strongest advice is to never, ever miss a C&P exam.

I get what you are saying. I put in for PTSD because of a car accident I had. I believe the major problem was that I was not in control. I have reoccuring nightmares, panic attacks, and everytime it would trigger when someone else was driving. I talked ot the VA shrink during my C and P exam.He pretty much closed the case when I said I did not think about hurting myself or others. This was back in 2004. I have thought about putting in another claim for increase due to having reoccuring dreams, nashing my teeth at night, panic attacks when someone brakes too hard or suddenly, panic when 18 wheelers are next to me due to wind gusts, and so on. Since my C and P exam I have not talked to a shrink. So, I am wondering if I need to start going to one.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, if you want to go for an increase down the line. The VA feeds on medical documentation. When you go for treatment at the VA you create tons of documentation. Just never say you feel better. Forget the positive, promote the negative and always say something hurts. If you are getting treatment from the VA for a MH issue you also want to accept whatever pills they give you. You don't have to take them, but don't reject them. You are doing this for the long term.

My wife has PTSD from a car wreck. She almost died. She is nervous as hell in a car. She insists on driving sometimes and I pray.

John

I get what you are saying. I put in for PTSD because of a car accident I had. I believe the major problem was that I was not in control. I have reoccuring nightmares, panic attacks, and everytime it would trigger when someone else was driving. I talked ot the VA shrink during my C and P exam.He pretty much closed the case when I said I did not think about hurting myself or others. This was back in 2004. I have thought about putting in another claim for increase due to having reoccuring dreams, nashing my teeth at night, panic attacks when someone brakes too hard or suddenly, panic when 18 wheelers are next to me due to wind gusts, and so on. Since my C and P exam I have not talked to a shrink. So, I am wondering if I need to start going to one.

Moreno,

I was in an accident as well (SUV rollover) while in service. Really messed me up for a while. I've had nightmares, but now they're weekly at least and I'm punching and kicking. I don't remember much due to the meds, but my wife is really scared. I kicked a few nights ago (I'm also a second degree Tae Kwon Do) and when I did, I really hurt her. I don't know what to do. I've had a sleep study, but only for one night. I didn't have a nightmare that night, so no problems, right? How are you being treated for these?