Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Testicular Cancer From Being Exposed To Agent Orange

Rate this question

rkelly

Question

I have been fighting the VA since 2003 claiming that my cancer was caused from exposure to AO. After being denied several times and after several appeals finally in 2011 the VA admitted that from all the research I sent in to them and from their own doctors C/P findings and from my doctors findings that my cancer was indeed caused from exposure to AO and ruled in my favor but they gave me a 0% rating. I realize that Testicular cancer is not on their list of cancers that they recognise, but is on a list to be added someday. Just wondered if any other Vietnam Vets have have applied for benefits from this type cancer and if so what kind of results they have had. I appealed this ruling again in 2011 and as of yet have not heard a thing. I will keep appealing this until I die which I feel is what they are waiting on. This is my very 1st post, but find this site to be most interesting.

Thanks Rick Kelly Vietnam Vet 1971-1972.

Well after after having my appeal turned downed several times since 2003 the VA finally rated me at 30% for my testicular cancer even though I was told I was wasting my time. I had to again appeal my case in 2013 and I guess after all the failed appeals and me not giving up they finally seen things my way. I hope if any other vets suffered from testicular cancer that this will encourage them to file a claim and to stick with it. The only thing I was out was just my time but it was well worth the wait as it bumped my disability % up nicely. My original claim was turned in back in 2003 but they only paid me back pay to 2013 so I now have that appealed too. Since 2013 when I received compensation for my cancer I have also filed different claims for residual side effects from the chemo and have been compensated for that too. I hope my struggles with the VA encourages other to file if they they have ever suffered from testicular cancer.

R.Kelly SGT Vietnam 71-72

That is excellent news.

Did you have an IMO or did they find your cancer fell under the presumptives, as a sarcoma?

There are many STS cancers ( soft tissue sarcomas )on the AO presumptive list but I bet VA does not fully compare the actual medical diagnosis to that list.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Greetings All,

Just to let everyone know I just recently discovered the VA might be recognizing Testicular Cancer.   Though I am not certain as of yet, it seems, from reading here and other links that there is a possibility.   I served in Vietnam for 3 years, Korea, Thailand, Okinawa, Guam and Japan.   I served as a pilot and had a Right Lateral Orchiectomy and Retro Peritoneal Lymph Node Dissection with lifelong complications from both operations.   I have recently applied for VA benefits.   But, from reading so much on this subject and the process of claim denials, appeals and the confusion regarding the process I am not sanguine with regards to the outcome.  I served between the years 1971 to 1974 in Vietnam and 1971 to 1986 in the other countries.  Thanks to all, in advance, for any suggestions.

Were you piloting a C 123? Some C 123 had a big AO win about a year ago.....

Available here under search -C 123 AO and/or Wes Carter)

But I assume you also had boots on the ground as well- Vietnam and Thailand.(Okinawa and Guam vets have proved AO caused disability too) and the Korean AO vet regs are here as well.

I never got an answer to my last question here from the other poster..

VA will SC all soft tissue sarcomas that are on the extensive AO STS list.(available here under a search)

Is your cancer a STS cancer?

Is testicular cancer in the latest IOM report as to possible or limited suggestion due to AO ?

The IOM report should be here too.

Definitely file that claim.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Perhaps of some interest, although I don't know how to find the details and documents.

In 1968, The US Navy Hospital at Yokosuka Japan Navy base had serious concerns about testicular cancers in those that served in Vietnam. To the point that fairly routine testicular surgery for various problems had a standard procedure added to physically check for possible signs of testicular cancers. Evidently the occurrence rate was high enough to be of concern. This hospital served the Navy and Marines stationed in the far east and Vietnam as a major full capability medical facility.

Berta and Chuck,

I flew C-141's for 3 years and C-5's for 12 years.   It has been so long one of my Doctors has passed away and the other has retired but I have sent a request in for the records from the hospital.  I was diagnosed with Embryonal cell carcinoma with mixed germ cell tumor.   Thank you for your responses.   I greatly appreciate all the work you are doing for the veterans of this country.