Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Opinion On Sleep Apnea Claim

Rate this question

jdogg2022

Question

filed my claim in July of 2013 for sleep apnea nothing started going anywhere until Feb 2014 when I was called from va to let me know they had set up a appointment to see the va comp doctor I met with her today and she went through my file and was able to see I was sent to docs while in service and that all of my write ups were because of sleeping I was discharged in 2003 just 3 weeks of fulfilling my 4 years and got a honorable under General within a year of being discharged I went to my doctor and was correctly diagnosed and given a cpap I didn't even think of filling until last year do you think I could win my claim I'm a little nervous about it all also I signed releases for all my medical doctors but for some reason they were not in my file that was sent to the comp doc so now I'm dealing with that any opinions would be great thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, if your SMR's support a military DX of OSA. I wonder about connecting OSA as secondary condition to SC conditions. You probably should have filed a claim for OSA within a year of discharge. Just getting the DX within a year is not enough as I understand it.

Yes, if your SMR's support a military DX of OSA. I wonder about connecting OSA as secondary condition to SC conditions. You probably should have filed a claim for OSA within a year of discharge. Just getting the DX within a year is not enough as I understand it.

Yes it does support it which is good I was always falling asleep on job in class just at the c drop off a dime they sent me too 3 different times to their doctor I was sent away every time with a stay off sugary food was no where near over wrist the last timer I was seen it v was suggested I have a sleep study but I was never sent I didn't even know the doctor recommended it I also have a buddy who is going to write a state ment for me I'm not sure what you mean by connecting the osa as secondary condition of you could explain to me it would be very helpful. Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder

The military likes to choose a DX where they would have the least possible financial liability. To them you are just a bag of water inside a skin. I thought the draft was the last gasp of fascism in our country. The New All Volunteer Army treats is members just as bad as the draft army I was in back in 1969. They threw me out for asking for help.

We did exactly that and the VARO granted it in 2007. My husband is on meds for hormone replacement and hypertension related to service connected conditions. They cause weight gain, which in turn increase neck circumference, which can then contribute to OSA. Also, cervical spine disorders can contribute to OSA. I did a lot of online research in this area to provide the necessary nexus, after the sleep study was performed. My husband is a 'Nam vet and retired after 20 years in the early 1990's, so OSA was not considered common knowledge back then. The effective date was the sleep study date.

The military likes to choose a DX where they would have the least possible financial liability. To them you are just a bag of water inside a skin. I thought the draft was the last gasp of fascism in our country. The New All Volunteer Army treats is members just as bad as the draft army I was in back in 1969. They threw me out for asking for help.

John I can't agree with you more. As I have experienced this first hand. They do underestimate me and they have not realized my resolve. They WILL acknowledge ALL the EVIDENCE, ALL the REGULATIONS, and the LAW. So help me they will. I took an oath many years ago and until a several weeks ago I let my sorrows overwhelm me. and forgotten. " to defend this country against all enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC" I will fight. That is what I was taught to do. That is what I SHALL do. Till my last breath! Courage or not this is my life mission now.

I have to write. With any condition, if you are to stand a chance, it has to be in your records somewhere. It has to mentioned in your SMR's. They don't acknowledge private medical records even if you fling it in their face. I speak from first hand experience. Bypass the PCP, if they ignore it. Make friends with the records people. They will be a good method for you to get medical evidence in your file. Then when the regional office gets your records from it's own systmem the voila. There it is. Ofcourse keep in mind they will ignore it as long as possible.

The biggest thing I think is that if it is not mentioned directly for any specific disease or illness, in this case sleep apnea, go for the symptoms, daily fatigue even after rest. Feeling sufficated or waking up in the middle of the night. hyposomlence, things like that. They will ask about medications and sleep posistions, the only sure way to diagnose it is with a sleep study. I would insisist on a full night study not a split study. It is possible that you will not hit REM and alpha, beta, and so forth sleep waves.

In any case I hope that this is helpful information.