Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Opinions On Total Disability

Rate this question

88 mike

Question

I lost my job due to my SC disability over a year ago. The Dr. had me do a functional capacity test and the results said that I shouldn't lift no more then 10lbs. The Dr. gave me a permanent restriction for lifting of 10lbs. The Dr. also wants to do reconstructive surgery on my back who will include rods, screws and pins. This will be my second back surgery in 3 years. I am being treated for depression through the VA due to my SC disability. My voce rehab counselor told me that I probably won't be able to use my degree because of those limitations. So I've researched different job descriptions, and I don't even qualify to be a secretary because of the limitations. My questions are: what should I do? what's my chances.of getting total disability?,

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, definitely file for depression as secondary to the back condition. You need a doctor to write a letter saying your depression is secondary to the SC back injury. What kind of meds do you take for depression? If you don't take meds the VA won't believe you are depressed. It is very common for people with back injuries and chronic pain to become depressed, however the VA really demands that a mental health professional make the connection. Do some research on depression. I have some back and neck problems. I take pain meds and the meds alone depress me. I trade relief from pain for chronic depression.

file for everything that you can that will service connect. what meds are you on for the pain, surely they affect you. file for TDUI now . your back isnt getting better, its getting worse.

"My voce rehab counselor told me that I probably won't be able to use my degree because of those limitations."

If you are in Voc Rehab and have not gotten a degree yet, and a Voc Rehab counselor finds that your SC prevent you from adequately continuing VocRehab ( and they document that fact) this is good evidence that you are unemployable due to SC.

Have you applied for SSDI? If so, and if the SSA is Solely for your SC disabilities this too is good evidence of unemployability.

• HadIt.com Elder

I was lucky since I had doctors that were also my advocates. Shrinks are the best for this I think. They have some understanding that when you become disabled no amount of money (especially not SSD or TDIU) is going to make up for your loss. What we get from SSD or VA is just money to keep us quite and to keep us alive so we don't join ranks and do another Bonus March. Your shrink could say you are totally disabled due solely to your depression. You got to get that depression service connected. The VA is very good at parsing percentages of disability for physical impairments. It is cut and dried to an extent. If you lose your leg below the knee you get 40% if you lose it above the knee you can get 100%. They use a tape measure on you. They can't do this with a mental disorder, but they are trying very hard with PTSD as we speak.

John

Im 100% R1 Veteran that entitles me yo draw special montly Comp, Ccompensation can double or in my case is 3× 100% PaI lost use of foot secondary to Back got 100% each feet, I'm permanently bound to wheelchair Aid and attendance, 60% neuro genio blade secondary to back SC.

100% asthma. El if you get your Doctor to write conditions secondary to! You should have no problem getting SC. Hang on just talk to primary