VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

School Done, Got A Job, Lost My Job

Rate this question

garlicBreath

Question

This is my 3rd job in 5 years. I'm pretty sure my mental disorder is 50, not the thirty that I'm rated at. My voc councilor changed 6 times and I'm pretty sure none of them took into account my depression. I failed to make any social connections during four years of school, nor did I when working. I tried on several attempts to contact my VRE councilor and open a dialogue about my work issues. He always sent back generic emails. I kind of deep overlooked. I just applied for SSDI and that brought me to tears, I'm only 35 but my back has been shot since I was 20. I'm always sad and now confused. Any advice would help.

Peace

Ck

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Navy04,

Read your last post carefully. In one sentence you state "did you apply for Tinnitus which a lot of vets do to get a few $$, because they do not have legitimate disability claims" and in your next sentence you state "we should never judge our fellow vets." You seem to contradict yourself. I believe you will find a lot of veterans on this site, including myself, who would disagree with your statement that Tinnitus is not a legitimate disability claim. I have suffered from Tinnitus for over 48 years and use a "white noise" machine at night to help mask the ringing in my ears so I can sleep. Many people from Tinnitus also suffer from depression because the constant ringing in their ears drives them crazy.

Navy04,

Read your last post carefully. In one sentence you state "did you apply for Tinnitus which a lot of vets do to get a few $$, because they do not have legitimate disability claims" and in your next sentence you state "we should never judge our fellow vets." You seem to contradict yourself. I believe you will find a lot of veterans on this site, including myself, who would disagree with your statement that Tinnitus is not a legitimate disability claim. I have suffered from Tinnitus for over 48 years and use a "white noise" machine at night to help mask the ringing in my ears so I can sleep. Many people from Tinnitus also suffer from depression because the constant ringing in their ears drives them crazy.

way back when I was drafted, my first job in Army was gunner on tank. Guess what! I have high frequency hearing loss, never filed a claim, but went to VA for hearing aid and was turned down. Have had this problem since mid 70's. BTW! We used no hearing protection back then.

Vern2,

I was in artillery (105 howitzers) and fired them daily in Vietnam in 1967 and 1968. We were never provided with hearing protection in Vietnam. I was discharged in 1970 but did not file until 2010. Currently 10% hearing loss and 10% tinnitus. You should get an IME and IMO from a private audiologist and file a claim. If your MOS is on the VA's presumptive hearing loss list, you may be successful in a claim if your hearing loss is severe enough.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think Navy04 was taking a swipe at all those with hearing problems. I think he was pointing out that mental health issues are not figments of our imaginations. I was at a small airbase in Vietnam. It was also a fire support base with 105 and 155 howitzers firing all night. I do think that anyone who fired the 105's and 155's without hearing protection must have suffered hearing loss. When the artillery guys moved the 155 guns around to fire over our heads it was so loud that when I first got there I thought it had to be incoming. It would wake me up out of a dead sleep. So I don't think everybody who files for tinnitus is faking, but I know there is no objective way to tell if someone has it. However, if someone fired those big howitzers without protection they most probably have real hearing loss, and not just buzzing in the ears. I also think that depression is real and can wipe out a career. I knew a guy from my therapy group who got a Master's Degree via VA Vocational Rehabilitation and his chronic depression put him on permanent disability eventually. He got better for a while on the anti-depressants, but then either he stopped taking them due to side effects or they just stopped working.

John,

I understand that Navy04 was trying to make a point with Yoshi and his message would have been right on target without making the additional comment about Tinnitus not being a legitimate disability. I have read other messages posted by Navy04 and he appears to be a compassionate person who cares about his fellow veterans. The Tinnitus comment just did not sit well with me and I had to get it off my chest. I have mental issues of my own and I definitely did not agree with Yoshi.