Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

30% For Ptsd And Why Not 50%

Rate this question

stebarbar

Question

I received 30% for ptsd in Feb 2013 and the used the GFA of 62 from 9/2012 and not the GFA of 55 they VA dr's have used for the last 19 months. The VA regional office said to get to 50% I would need these 6 things: flatten affect,panic attacks,difficulty understanding complex command ,impairment of short term memory,imparied judgment,disturbances of of motivation and mood and difficulty establishing social relationships. I have in the A psychiatrist flatten, panic attacks more than 2 times or more a week,disturbances in motivation and mood and difficulty in social relationships. this is all in the va doctors notes for the last 2 years. It seems they took most of the info from the 9/2012.The one mistake I made a the C&P was I tole the psychologist that she has all the info in the va medical files and I didn't recite what I already told the Psychologist and Psychiatrist. My mistake! I call the VFW VSO and she sounded like I would have to have all these and the GAF didn't mean much by the Va psychiatrist. She said to have the psychiatrist fill out form 21-0960p-2 or mental disorder disability questionnaire. Do you have meet all 6 things and is the VSO right. Thanks for yourhelp, Semper ps The VA dr's don't like to fill out the forms.

US Marine Corps

John 1371

USMC Combat Engineer I believe.

I felt the same way with my stay in the hospital. Did not good. Now I am waiting for additional care that has yet to come. I was just referred to MH at Scott & White Hospital. I am hoping they will help.

The VA damn near stopped most of the medications for fear of another suicide attempt. So I am constantly in pain.

I didn't think of an IME or IMO. Do you have any idea where to get one. I don't think the VA would do it. Also is their any format they should use or information they should place in it?

I hope you are doing better and get the help you need. It is very sad so many have to suffer before it is realized the problems we have are not all from depression.

Are you in Central Texas?

• HadIt.com Elder

I remember being admitted to a VA hospital back in 2001. They discontinued all my medications. I did not sleep a wink for days until I got my wife to get me out of that joint. I was on pain meds and that stopped suddenly, of course. I made the mistake of being admitted on a Friday. I did not see a doctor until Monday. For hospitals to take a patient off their current medications is so common. They all think they know best and never listen to the patient. I know the VA wanted me to go into an in-patient pain program. No way after my experiences with other admissions.

jrt1021 I am in Northern Alabama and that was m MOS. I hope Scott and White hospital can give you the help you need. I don't have any attempts, just self mutilation as they call it.

john999 I checked myself in on a Friday too. I didn't even consider the weekend.Only spoke with the intake people that Friday and nobody all weekend. I was ready to leave Monday not because I was ok, but because they drugged me, locked me up and ignored me. I could do that at home with my dog. I'll only go back if court ordered and I can't escape.

I just got back from my Psychiatrist a few hours ago after telling him what the Abilify did to me and kept doing to me even a month after I stopped taking it and he said Abilify didn't do that to me. I've never had tremors before starting Abilify and now my left hand and foot won't stop moving. I stopped taking Abilify almost two months ago and the Dr said it was out of my system in two weeks. He said the tremors were probably from nerve damage and not caused by Abilify. Never ever had tremors before going on Abilify. I also told him that while on Anilify, I though I was going to die and he said Abilify doesn't do that. It was like a several week panic attack, migraine, flu, food poisoning all rolled into something that had my heart rate North of 140 and my blood pressure bouncing all over. He'll take my word that I'm having hallucinations, but not that I had a severe reaction to a drug. Weird. He also prescribed a SSRI that messed up my bladder, made me wake up really early and made my tinnitus really loud and uncomfortable. I won't be taking anymore pills from them. Better to scrape bottom than deal with the side effects.

Thank you to all the Vietnam Veterans that forged the way against the VA so that us younger veterans aren't being bashed against the obstacles you destroyed.

The VARO said the reviewed my medhistory from the VA but they used most of the C&P and they said the based a lot on the GAF score of 62 from the C&P on 09/2012 and none from the VA psychiatrist who had a 55 GAF the last 19 mos.. Im sorry I didn't respond since im burnt out by the VA and I spent 4 hours going over my med history by the psychiatrist and Pshchologist from the VA and the VFW service officer didn't seem interested in reviewing. Their advice was have the VA dr's fill out a 5 page form . Im currently 30 % hearing and 30% ptsd for a total of 50%. Thanks again for all of your advice.

US Marine Corps

Whoever told you it was necessary to have all 6 things to get that rating is WRONG! Here is the federal regulation you need to quote when you ask for reconsideration or appeal, etc.

Here's the paragraph from the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations that says that all cases DO NOT have to show everything listed in the rating schedule.

Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief
PART 4—SCHEDULE FOR RATING DISABILITIES
Subpart A—General Policy in Rating

§4.21 Application of rating schedule.

In view of the number of atypical instances it is not expected, especially with the more fully described grades of disabilities, that all cases will show all the findings specified. Findings sufficiently characteristic to identify the disease and the disability therefrom, and above all, coordination of rating with impairment of function will, however, be expected in all instances.

[41 FR 11293, Mar. 18, 1976]

Edited by NavyWife

This was very helpful and I may talk to another VSO or go visit them and show the VA med records from the last 2 years. Thanks for your help. ps best advice yet!

US Marine Corps