Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Do You Friends Think? Cue?

Rate this question

Josephine

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have asked so many questions concerning my claim for 100% Service Connected " Psychiatric Disorder".

I was in the Navy for a little over a year and was referred by my military treating physician, Dr. C. to Dr. J Psychiatrist, to see if he had me on the correct treatment. I later saw another Psychaitrist who felt that discharge was best for me. Dr. C. was treating me with librium and caffergot for my nerves and headaches.

I was lucky that I got to know my treating physician so well, as I baby sat for him and his wife.

I was told constantly by the Lt. K., Administrative Officer, if I took the early discharge that I would be giving up all G. I Benefits.

I believed this for many years.

I filed for benefits in 1978 and was sent a letter that stated." You are not service connected".

I assumed that it was because of what Lt. K told me as I took the early discharge.

My DD 214 - 460 Emotional Instability

I filed again in 2002 was sent a denial of benefits

2003 I was given a pension, no help to me due to excessive income of my husband.

I went to the R.O and demanded to see my C- File, I asked the counselor where were the competency review reports from the Psychaitrist that I saw in service.

He stated." There is nothing here."

I wrote to The St. Louis Archives and received the reports by the different Psychiatist, to whom state that I do not have a Personality Disorder, just nerves, headaches and with a change of working conditons that I might be able to remain in service. This did not happen, the second psychiatirst recommended an early discharge.

I turned in copies of the two Military Psychaitric reports and a letter by my Commanding Officer.

I was immediately send for a C&P and was declared unable to work since 1983 and more likely than not my anxiety began in service. Diagnois Chronic Anxiety Disorder.

My niece a DRO signed off on my claims file and I was transferred to another state. I waited for that office to rate me, but instead they sent me to a board of two psychaitrist.

The two psychiatirst were very dishonest and falsified my medical records to give me a personality disorder and their use of hypnosis.

When I left the hospital, as soon as my husband asked me about the examination, I knew that something was not right and ran back into the hospital and told a nurse that I couldn't remember a thing. She checked my blood pressure and sugar and they were fine.

When we got to my daughers, My husband called the psychaitrist and he said that I would remember things in about 3 days and that he had told me to take a nap after the examination.

Lucky for me that I didn't, for I remember now what went on in that room.

The nurse called me the next day to see if I was feeling any better and I was not.

They stated that service had no effect on me and that I did not go to Dr. C. my treating physician, in service to help me get an early discharge, due to the tremors, headaches and my nervous state. They stated that Dr. C gave me Librium for a headache, as well as the caffergot.

Axis 1- Anxiety Disorder not other wise specified

Axis 2 - Personality Disorder, Borderline

Axis 3 - Rheumatic heart disease

Transient Ischemic Attack

Hypertension

Hypothyroidism

Inner Ear problem

Diabetes

Headaches

Axis 1V -none

AXis V - Gaf - 40

After 42 years, I called Dr. C. and sent him all of his medical records of me, and the reports of the psychiatrist, to whom he sent me to.

Dr. C wrote me a letter that I had worked with him in service, that he did send me to the psychiatrist to see if he was treating me correctly. That I babysit for him and his wife and that he treated me with Librium for anxiety , as well as medicine for a headache .

I have medical records of 42 years for treatment of anxiety disorder and no mention of personality.

I have taken anti - anxiety medication since discharge.

The R.O denied me benefits due to the two psychaitrist. Nothing bothered me in service.

I went to the BVA and remanded in March.

I have been in contact with the Management Center and have been told that the C&P by the Board of two Psychiatrist had been discounted, due to illegal means for an examination and changing of my records.

If this true-

I have the More Likely than Not C&P

Letter by my Military Treating Physician stating that he treated me for anxiety

3 letters by my treating physician for the last 29 years, stating due to the fact that I took Librium in 1964 and again in 1967 and have been on anti-anxiety medication every day since, that service was the reason for my anxiety.

He said that I did not have a Personaltiy Disorder and that they were patently incorrect.

I have all of my private records from discharge to date.

Had the Veterans Affairs had my Psychiatric Records when I filed in 1978 and the letter by my Commanding officer, I would have received a C&P and should have received benefits.

If they had done more in 1978, and not have just a counselor decide my claim for me and sent me information of what they had, a statement of the case or anything, besides, you are not service connected.

Anyway, I told the BVA I wanted 100% Service Connected Disability because they, the Veterans Affairs had violated my rights, by not securing those records in 1978, because they had been the archives for years.

Sorry this one is so long.

I am going to win, or die trying.

Thanks,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have never heard of a veteran being sent to a board of shrinks after a C&P exam. Seems the VA is very anxious to deny benefits. I and many others were given the "personality disorder" diagnosis. I got out in 1971. It was just SOP to do this since unless you were psychotic it was considered just bad behavior even many, many PTSD vets. It was and is all about having to pay compensation. I was lucky in a way since I was service connected in 1973 retro to the day after I was discharged. I was in a military hosptial for 2 months after Vietnam so that worked for me but did not stop the Army from discharging me as unsuitable and inability to adapt after 28 month of service when I only had 8 month to go anyway. You should be given the benefit of the doubt but more evidence in the way of indpendent medical opinions would not hurt.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have never heard of a veteran being sent to a board of shrinks after a C&P exam. Seems the VA is very anxious to deny benefits. I and many others were given the "personality disorder" diagnosis. I got out in 1971. It was just SOP to do this since unless you were psychotic it was considered just bad behavior even many, many PTSD vets. It was and is all about having to pay compensation. I was lucky in a way since I was service connected in 1973 retro to the day after I was discharged. I was in a military hosptial for 2 months after Vietnam so that worked for me but did not stop the Army from discharging me as unsuitable and inability to adapt after 28 month of service when I only had 8 month to go anyway. You should be given the benefit of the doubt but more evidence in the way of indpendent medical opinions would not hurt.

John 999,

I have three letters by my pastor, to whom knew me before service and counseled me for years after service. He has written 3 letters to the Va and BVA.

I also have a buddy letter by a women who was in service with me at each duty station. Boot camp to Washington, where I was discharged.

I have not been able to find any information, as to why I went to a Board of two Psychiatrist after the first C&P. I think they were told to get rid of me.

They tried, but have not suceeded.

The Management Center has the option of sending me for another C&P if they deem it necessary. Nothing will change, for I am telling the story just as it happened.

I am not sure if they can knock down the letter from my Military Treating Physician. I do know that they have ask him to withdraw his letter, but he will not, for it is my sick bay records that he dispensed the librium and the caffergot.

They know that I am prepared to go the the Court of Appeals with this case.

Thanks bunches!!

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

Josephine

The VA must be worried about a big retro payment issue or something to do with money or they would have granted service connection I think. People with personality disorders don't get anxious and need librium. That is one of the criteria of a personality disorder is that they feel the world is wrong and they are perfectly OK, so why should they be anxious. But with the VA once you get the personality disorder diagnosis it sticks like glue. They will admit you are a paranoid schizophrenic, but you have a personality disorder too.

• HadIt.com Elder
Josephine

The VA must be worried about a big retro payment issue or something to do with money or they would have granted service connection I think. People with personality disorders don't get anxious and need librium. That is one of the criteria of a personality disorder is that they feel the world is wrong and they are perfectly OK, so why should they be anxious. But with the VA once you get the personality disorder diagnosis it sticks like glue. They will admit you are a paranoid schizophrenic, but you have a personality disorder too.

John999,

The personality disorder is what I have been working on. I just don't have one. All of my medical records starting with 1965 state anxiety disorder. I have other doctors that I went to and a private psychiatrist and now my doctor of 29 years. He is the one that wrote the nexus letter, as I have been to him for so long.

He has stated that with 29 years of treatment of me that I do not have a personality disorder, only chronic anxiety disorder.

I know that they did nothing with my claim of 1978, as they keep asking me for records. They only have that I filed a claim and nothing else. They didn't rate or even give the claim the time of day.

I am hanging in with my military physician as he is was CEO of the Mayo Clinic, at the time he wrote the letter for me. He has since retired, but is ready to assist me in anyway that he can.

He is just a wonderful honest person. He treated me in service and I babysat for him and his wife every weekend for his two children.

I have kept his message on my answering machine all this time, as he states that I mailed him all of the military records for his review and he has reviewed them and to please give him a call.

I should have contacted him earlier, but not sure that I knew his first name until I had the hypnotic C & P examination and exactly what state and city they lived in. I located him via the internet.

That C&P was built on lies and one of the psychiatrist would not sign it.

The doctors at the C&P examinations cannot figure out how to get rid of my profuse sweaty hands after meeting with death so many times in their old pool at boot camp and jumping off that old high dive into the water, knowing that I coudn't swim a lick. I can still hear them screaming at me and I dream of those old steps up to the high dive. I have lived the nightmare over and over since then.

Thanks bunches!

Josephine

Josephine,

It matters little if you have a Personality Disorder as long as you have a SC Axis I disorder. Personality Disorders are not compensable by the VA since they are characterological issues rather than clinical syndromes. If you can show that your Anxiety is related to your military duty (as was shown in your statement) you can have 10 personality disorders, but the only rating you will receive is for the Axis I disorder.

The VA has granted enormous sums of money retroactively past and present. I had a veteran who was given retroactive 100% from 1999 back 1970. Additionally, it would be prudent to get a more solid diagnosis of your Axis I disorder than Anxiety NOS. It is the NOS (Not Otherwise Specified) that is mucking up the works. The VA will not grant compensation on a NOS or V Code e.g., V71.01 Adult Antisocial Behavior diagnosis unless it is secondary to another specific condition. For example something likes this would be stated:

Axis I: 309.81 PTSD, Chronic and Delayed

300.00 Anxiety Disorder, NOS secondary to PTSD

Your best approach is to get a IMO using the VA guidelines (below) to more directly speak about your Axis I conidtion(s). The Axis codes are numbered 1 thru 5 for a reason. Axis I conditions are more predominate and include about 98% of all diagnoses. Axis II only consist of Personality Disorders and Developmental Disorders each of which manifest themselves in early childhood. Personality Disorders are generated by stress and usually an Axis I disorder is rendered long before a Personality issue is identified. For example the most predominate personality disorder seen in PTSD is Avoidant Personality Disorder. It is precipitated by PTSD and the characterological issues are wedded to the PTSD (stressor). So find an IMO that specializes in Anxiety related issues and PTSD and present him or her with the C and P guidelnes for a mental examination.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm37.htm

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm43.htm

Patrick

• HadIt.com Elder
Josephine,

It matters little if you have a Personality Disorder as long as you have a SC Axis I disorder. Personality Disorders are not compensable by the VA since they are characterological issues rather than clinical syndromes. If you can show that your Anxiety is related to your military duty (as was shown in your statement) you can have 10 personality disorders, but the only rating you will receive is for the Axis I disorder.

The VA has granted enormous sums of money retroactively past and present. I had a veteran who was given retroactive 100% from 1999 back 1970. Additionally, it would be prudent to get a more solid diagnosis of your Axis I disorder than Anxiety NOS. It is the NOS (Not Otherwise Specified) that is mucking up the works. The VA will not grant compensation on a NOS or V Code e.g., V71.01 Adult Antisocial Behavior diagnosis unless it is secondary to another specific condition. For example something likes this would be stated:

Axis I: 309.81 PTSD, Chronic and Delayed

300.00 Anxiety Disorder, NOS secondary to PTSD

Your best approach is to get a IMO using the VA guidelines (below) to more directly speak about your Axis I conidtion(s). The Axis codes are numbered 1 thru 5 for a reason. Axis I conditions are more predominate and include about 98% of all diagnoses. Axis II only consist of Personality Disorders and Developmental Disorders each of which manifest themselves in early childhood. Personality Disorders are generated by stress and usually an Axis I disorder is rendered long before a Personality issue is identified. For example the most predominate personality disorder seen in PTSD is Avoidant Personality Disorder. It is precipitated by PTSD and the characterological issues are wedded to the PTSD (stressor). So find an IMO that specializes in Anxiety related issues and PTSD and present him or her with the C and P guidelnes for a mental examination.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm37.htm

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm43.htm

Patrick

Patrick,

What does Anxiety disorder not otherwise specific mean?

What is the NOS saying?

How can my niece be a supervisor of the DRO's and me be the dumbest one on the site?

She just came to my home on the 17th of August to bring me a birthday cake and I have asked and asked her what some of this stuff means and she will tell me nothing.

If she had signed off when I first filed again in 2002 and not waited until I had my first C&P examination, with a diagnosis anxiety disorder and more likely than not.

This is when all the mess started. The minute she signed off, while I was waiting for an anwer, my file was being transferred to another state.

Do nieces really have to sign off on your file?

She said that she never saw it come past her.

I can say that the VA is thicker than blood!!!

Thanks,

josephine

Edited by Josephine