Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Aid Denied

Rate this question

bojack

Question

The VA just denied me my hearing aid because they think my hearing is normal and its not the haring that is giving me a headache and making me hard to focus and study. The VA told me they think I need to go mental health route due to my mild cognitive impairment and PTSD (lack of sleep and stress). They told me my current condition is worse than me wearing hearing aid so they told me to go seek more mental health therapy.

Is this a good thing for my claim? I mean I am little sad that my injuries are giving me all these trouble, but I would like to get what I deserve so I can improve my life.

Thank you

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If your primary care Doc will give you a consult to audiology you should be able to get hearing aid or aids

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Last month I had C&P exam for bl/tinnitus and bl/ hearing loss....at the end of the exam the Doctor told me I needed hearing aids and to contact my Primary Care Doctor in which I did My Primary Care Doctor made another appointment for another hearing test a month later, yesterday I received a call from the VA and was notified that another hearing exam was not needed and they would use the C&P exam results and they would order 2 hearing aids for me and call me when they come in...She said this was a new procedure and it would save me a 240 mile round trip to the VA Hospital for another exam. I'm new to the VA Health Care System and was in the Army between 1973 - 1976.

Last month I had C&P exam for bl/tinnitus and bl/ hearing loss....at the end of the exam the Doctor told me I needed hearing aids and to contact my Primary Care Doctor in which I did My Primary Care Doctor made another appointment for another hearing test a month later, yesterday I received a call from the VA and was notified that another hearing exam was not needed and they would use the C&P exam results and they would order 2 hearing aids for me and call me when they come in...She said this was a new procedure and it would save me a 240 mile round trip to the VA Hospital for another exam. I'm new to the VA Health Care System and was in the Army between 1973 - 1976.

I'm surprised they have not made wax molds, must be some kind of

universal fit.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

My new hearing aids attach to my ear and a tube goes in one size fits all. It is much more comfortable than my old ones. No more wax except for ear wax.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I'm surprised they have not made wax molds, must be some kind of

universal fit.

My brother who is also a Vietnam Veteran said he also had wax molds made he received 2 hearing aids from the VA about a 1 1/2 year ago. Like Pete53 posted this must be something new.

carlie, I looked at all the information I could find and it seemed to me that, as the moderator said, I would have to "qualify" under one of the criteria other than just having been in country. Rather than automatic I think what Doc Jake was saying was that if you were "in-country" you qualified for hearing aids once you were in the system and that Vietnam Vets are eligible to be in the system. There is no other explanation for why I am getting HA's from the VA. I am not service connected (but I have filed for hearing loss and tinitus), and I am employed and fully insured. I had to have a physical before I saw the audiologist and my BCBS was billed for the services. I am not interested in getting into a hassle with anyone but I think my experience is one that could be helpful to other vets. Again, the guy said if I served in-country I'd get HA's if I needed them and I did.